Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
forever4
BANNED

Default http://www.fordgarage.com

http://www.fordgarage.com

Last edited by forever4; 09-03-2016 at 04:19 PM.
forever4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Jim Parker Toronto

Default Re: A & B Head Gaskets for 1.8 inch Valves

Sorry Vince, I thought I said it was a B motor. The gasket in Hamilton is supposed to be the 573C old stock. I will be going over that way next week and definately look at it. Thanks for all your help... Jim
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
JoeWay

Default Re: A & B Head Gaskets for 1.8 inch Valves

Vince, I have (among others) an old stock Victor 800 and a new unmarked gasket from Bert's in Denver, both copper sandwich type. Both of them meet your ~0.455" spec between the valves, but neither of them come close to clearing the oversized Lincoln intake valves I got from Dave Daigh. He calls them 1-7/8" valves, but they actually measure about 1-13/16" overall OD. Stock Model A valves are called 1-1/2" but actually measure about 1-9/16 overall OD, so I'm calling my Lincoln valves 1-3/4".

On the recommendation of Max at H&H, I bought a couple of Best 509G "Graph Tite" gaskets and installed one. It clears the valves with room to spare, but only measures about 1/4" at valves and pistons. It's been in just a few weeks, so I have only about 600 miles on it, but so far so good.

Joe

From the Best website:

GraphTite™ (suffix of “G”) – consists of Kevlar reinforced graphite facing material mechanically bonded to both sides of a perforated steel core. This modern engineered, high-performance material is rated to a temperature of 1400 degrees-F. Steel fire rings are installed in the combustion chamber areas of the gasket.

GraphTite head gaskets have superb sealing characteristics, excellent torque retention, and hold up to the punishment dished out by high-performance engines – high quality all the way. This gasket might be overkill for cruiser engines, but so what . . extra performance never hurts!
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote