Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2023, 12:02 AM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: engine is a quandary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Howdy! Glad to hear you're getting some use out of that T9, I'm very much enjoying the lite-duty 3-speed I put in my F1. The transmission in my 31 HotRod is a BW T5 from a late 80s Chevy S-10 pickup. 5 speeds all synchronized and overdrive as well. Warmer here today, hopefully it's headed your way.
I'm a glutton for punishment, somehow I just gravitate towards a crashbox and a stack of leaf springs that don't bend upon hitting a pothole.... I have never driven or ridden in a CAR with a flathead V8. I did however, see maybe a '46 ford in a photo of when I was about 2, so it's possible I just don't remember. Hoping someday a V8 car and that T5 looks dreamlike, oh, and the twicepipes. Yours straight or mufflers? Sounds incredible!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:36 AM   #22
Art Newland

1.75 inch pipes, has some Walker glasspacks from Orielly's (IIRC 13 inches long) and Reds headers.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:14 AM   #23
Mart

It's always good to rake a ride out with you in the coupe, Art.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:39 AM   #24
Ol' Ron

Yes ,just love it. Not familiar with the T-9, however I use the T-170 which seems to be the same. It's a 3 spd with OD in 4th and easy to install on a steel bellhousing. Stock 91/2 clutch works just fine.. Take care.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:59 AM   #25
deuce5wndw

Sweet ride!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 02:28 PM   #26
petehoovie

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Howdy! Glad to hear you're getting some use out of that T9, I'm very much enjoying the lite-duty 3-speed I put in my F1. The transmission in my 31 HotRod is a BW T5 from a late 80s Chevy S-10 pickup. 5 speeds all synchronized and overdrive as well. Warmer here today, hopefully it's headed your way.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:59 PM   #27
Art Newland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
It's always good to rake a ride out with you in the coupe, Art.
Hey Mart... I'm waiting for your premier
Old 01-06-2023, 04:05 PM   #28
Mart

Quote:
Hey Mart... I'm waiting for your premier

Up now..
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:25 PM   #29
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Yes ,just love it. Not familiar with the T-9, however I use the T-170 which seems to be the same. It's a 3 spd with OD in 4th and easy to install on a steel bellhousing. Stock 91/2 clutch works just fine.. Take care.
Gramps
Ron, the T-9 is the standard big truck 4 speed crash box. Pretty much the same as introduced in the '28AA all the way through '52ish. You probably remember shifting a few of those. Art's BW modern 5 speed is a T-5.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:02 PM   #30
highbeams

clarity
Quote:
I'm a do-it-yourselfer when at all possible. I pressure washed it first, I have hot water available outside which helps a lot. Then scrub brushes and detergent, blow off with compressed air and hose down with WD-40 to stop flash rusting. Then wire-wheel on an air tool. Once I'm ready to assemble, I pressure wash again, blow dry and WD-40.
Pressure wash then blow dry. Sounds like you have a beauty salon there . . .

That'll take care of the egg too.

When I see my wife coming with the scrub brushes and detergent, compressed air and hose, I take off.

And those quandary engines didn't sell well. Never buy anything over the phone . . . . .
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:00 AM   #31
Ol' Ron

Yes, the T-5 is very popular, but is expensive, especialy the later ones. You also have to use an adapter. The T-170 came in the 1980's F150s. They fit the late 8ba style block with the steel adapter bored out and some welding. Then all the stock clutch stuff wworks as well. When building something, I have to take in the cost of the modification. Like the pistons. Ross are very good racing pistons, but poor street pistons and expensive. EggE makes a street piston that can be fit very tight and much cheaper. Most people haven't the experience it takes to do this kind of modifications, so us old guys can steer them in the right direction, or give them different options.
I want to keep these flatheads running as long as we have gas to put in them.
Probably 2035,
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote