Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Lawrie

Default ebay

How good is ebay ,just bought a set of nos ford points for my 33,still in the Ford carton with the ford logo , and like new.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Talkwrench

Default Re: ebay

Sometimes we get lucky ; o ) ..
Old 12-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
How good is ebay ,just bought a set of nos ford points for my 33,still in the Ford carton with the ford logo , and like new.
Lawrie
For the most part, I have had very good fortune with eBay. It has brought me some very rare items that no doubt would have been impossible to find elsewhere. Sure, eBay has perhaps driven prices up but the world economy dictates supply and demand rule.
Ebay has also allowed me to sell my parts. Many of you know and have dealt with me. I have sold thousands of NOS 39 - 40 Ford parts that would have otherwise stayed stored away. I gave up the swap meet scene years ago as I simply got tired of (most) guys offering me pennies on the dollar for what I had.
Now, the market dictates the price. Seems quite fair to me.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Lawrie
I don't know about e-pay but I cain't see anything wrong with a new set that never has been used, just polish the points a little, that set has the long strap from one side to other, they must be a little had to find. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Lawrie

yes walt, I like the old 33 style stuff, I have another nos distributor I also got on eBay,
If you use all the Ford stuff it makes for easy work,and it lasts .
Lawrie
Old 12-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
Craig CT

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Lawrie
Hi Lawrie; When I bid on ebay I look to see how many sales the seller has made and if they have 100% positive feedback. I also ask questions if I feel the need. It reduces risk. Good luck, Craig.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
tubman

I've had good luck on eBay buying mis-labeled or badly described parts. In the last couple of years, I have gotten a Navarro dual manifold for an 8BA for $190, a Mallory SBC distributor (now at Bubba's) for $5, and a regular Hurst 3 speed shifter (missing a few parts) for $20. Last week I passed on a NOS Mallory YL Distributor with a crab cap that went for $25, because I'm getting a little overstocked on some of this stuff.

As for selling, I've had good experiences there, too. Sometimes the final sale price can be surprising. I got $60 for a '51 Grille extension (no Parking light part) with marginal chrome. A NOS '67 Corvette power steering pulley brought $10. I've sold a lot of stuff that I ordinarily would have thrown away (manuals for cars I no longer own) in the $10 to $20 dollar range with the buyer paying shipping. Much more satisfying that just tossing the stuff.

A lot of people don't like eBay, but if you use it correctly, it can be a great resource. I'm with Kube in regards to swap meets these days.

Last edited by tubman; 12-02-2014 at 10:57 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #8
George49Ford

I've had very good luck with eBay. On the rare occasion I got a wrong or bad part I go back and check the description and usually was my bad. And, you can always contact the seller for more info before bidding.
George49Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
barnfind

epay is by far the quickest easiest way to buy lower priced or rare parts for the most part.
But they should have a rule that if you advertise you must be willing to ship.

Tempted to buy a few cars that are hard to find but never been able to pull the trigger on big ticket items.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
joe plumber

I have had good luck buying on e bay .
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
Mike51Merc

I like ebay, but I'm mainly a buyer, not a seller. I've bought lots of stuff for good prices and only had two bad experiences that eventually got resolved in my favor.

The one thing that bugs me is when sellers have "shills" bidding against you. Look at your competitor's information regarding who they've done business with. When your competing bidder has done the majority of his bidding with this same seller, you're being played for a sucker.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
35fordtn

I have never bought much off of eBay, but have sold a few things on there. It always seems to really be a good way to judge exactly where the market is.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #13
DERPR30

Buyer beware
DERPR30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #14
Barry-ct

I've had good luck on Ebay as a buyer and as a seller. I had one problem as a buyer and Ebay took care of it, pronto! I set a price in my head as a top price and do not go over it, no matter what. I will wait for the next one to come along.
As a seller, I have had a few slow pokes on paying, but they all have paid up. I haven't sold in a while because of all their fees, but that's another subject!
Like DERPR30 said, buyer beware!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
itsa52

Lately I have had a couple of buyers with very low feed back and no history but pay promptly with paypal.. First one was an ole grouch who was rude and obnoxious and left no feed back.. Second one I just shipped.. I am guessing they are old eBayers with new accounts, for what ever reason.. Probably too many negative feed backs.
itsa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #16
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
I like ebay, but I'm mainly a buyer, not a seller. I've bought lots of stuff for good prices and only had two bad experiences that eventually got resolved in my favor.

The one thing that bugs me is when sellers have "shills" bidding against you. Look at your competitor's information regarding who they've done business with. When your competing bidder has done the majority of his bidding with this same seller, you're being played for a sucker.
If you use a sniper shill bidding won't be a problem or less of a problem. Here is a free one I use:http://www.gixen.com/index.php

I haven't made an ebay bid directly in 7 or 8 years. I always go thru the sniper. If you don't know a sniper makes your bid for you in the last 6 seconds of the auction. Another advantage is you can cancel your bid up until the last 2 minutes of the auction.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #17
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry-ct View Post
I've had good luck on Ebay as a buyer and as a seller. I had one problem as a buyer and Ebay took care of it, pronto! I set a price in my head as a top price and do not go over it, no matter what. I will wait for the next one to come along.
As a seller, I have had a few slow pokes on paying, but they all have paid up. I haven't sold in a while because of all their fees, but that's another subject!
Like DERPR30 said, buyer beware!
How about me? I have two ebay accounts 36FordWoodie and ModelA4rd. I once had a seller refuse to sell to me after I offered $275 to end it now and he let the auction proceed instead. I won the auction for $200, then he wouldn't sell except for $275 which I paid and was still a bargain as the item was mis-identified.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #18
Sixseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post

Yeah, I've been screwed and I've been glued. I'd hate to be a seller because the buyer, regardless of substantiation, can win any argument against you. I've bought stuff that was not as represented and in some cases settled just fine and other cases not settled at all. Bottom line: I still buy but am reluctant to sell.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #19
Lawrie

well I had the buy of the century last month,bought a pile of nos ford rod bearings,and in the pile was a set of the 004-020 that I had been after for ages,

lawrie
Old 12-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #20
motordr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
I have never bought much off of eBay, but have sold a few things on there. It always seems to really be a good way to judge exactly where the market is.
LOL...yes, I have bought a couple of items from you...at Hershey too!
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote