Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #1
ETAModel

Default Front end problems

On my friend's 30 Fordor, we just put new Coker tires all around. Took her to the shop for some maintenance, my friend following. Upon arrival he asked me how it drove...I said the same as usual. He said the front tires would track straight a while, then shimmy like all get out, then go back to tracking straight, then repeat. I topped out at 43 mph in town driving.
I've noticed since he got it the car has a pretty bad shimmy in the front end at about 15-20 mph, whether accelerating or decelerating, but once past that speed it tracks pretty good. Oh course I have nothing to compare it to. It has less than 1/4 revolution of play in the steering wheel. Dad's 58 Ford had over 1/2 rev of slack. I thought maybe this is the dreaded "dead wobble" I've read on here about.

I tugged on the top of the tires, there's about 1/2" movement. I plan on packing/inspecting the front bearings/hubs next, and giving it a good lube job.

What do you think is going on? King pins, tie rods, dead wobble, all of the above????

Thanks
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote