Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
rafter

Default Brake Line Flaring Tool Kit

I'm going to switch over to juice brakes on my Model A and would like to know what brand or kind of flaring kit to get. I understand that you have to be careful flaring brake lines, and I want to get a good kit.
Thanks, Hank
rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
wga

Default Re: Brake Line Flaring Tool Kit

Double flare is a 45 degree flare, single flare is a 37 1/2 flare.

If you have never done this before...get some help from someone with experience.
I got a Snap On flaring tool, others are available too, you want quality flares, and
if not formed correctly, the doubling of the flare can crack.
This is the tube bender I use from Ridgid about $60.00 easy to control, precision bends:
Old 10-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
37ford4dr

east wood sells the flaring tools. its fun to do just take your time on them accuracy makes all the difference. and continually tighten and loosen as you make you first seating and it will help conform the new flare. i bought a bending tool from sears that has a handle that moves to give you more controll over bending it was kind of expensive but its really nice.
37ford4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

They sell all diff diam and lengths of brake tubing already flared and have the fittings on them.Probebly no more pricy than buying the tools and doing your self. OMO ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
They sell all diff diam and lengths of brake tubing already flared and have the fittings on them.Probebly no more pricy than buying the tools and doing your self. OMO ken ct.
I agree with Ken but would like to add after you have used a many standard lengths as possible go to a good brake shop and have them make the few remaining flares you need.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
ken1939

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Snap On's flare kit is the best I have used hands down.
ken1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
al pa.

I had lines flared at a local auto parts,that used a fixture that clamped the line on two sides.The flaring tool,had a squeeze handle,that pushed a die into the tube.I had problems with leaks,enough that I tightened connections,until I thought I would break some fittings.The last line I had flared there,had a slightly oval shape,compared to a professionally formed flare.This was my leak problem.
al pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
tiquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wga View Post
Double flare is a 45 degree flare, single flare is a 37 1/2 flare.

If you have never done this before...get some help from someone with experience.
I got a Snap On flaring tool, others are available too, you want quality flares, and
if not formed correctly, the doubling of the flare can crack.
This is the tube bender I use from Ridgid about $60.00 easy to control, precision bends:
I have the complete kit from ridged and I have had no troubles with the flares leaking. This kit works awsome.If you have trouble finding one the tube bender and flareing tool can be found at your home depo store.
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
PeteVS

I invested in a good 1/4" tube bender similar to the one shown in post above. Worked well. I did most of the lines for a '32 using the "stock" preflared lines from the local auto parts store. I also got the local store's "premium" flaring tool for the last few lengths and I managed to get it to work quite well. NAPA has some green stuff that's supposed to be easier to bend and flare but I didn't play with any of that. What ever you do, DON'T LOOK AT HOW THEY DO THE BRAKE LINES ON STREET RODS!!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
paul2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I invested in a good 1/4" tube bender similar to the one shown in post above. Worked well. I did most of the lines for a '32 using the "stock" preflared lines from the local auto parts store. I also got the local store's "premium" flaring tool for the last few lengths and I managed to get it to work quite well. NAPA has some green stuff that's supposed to be easier to bend and flare but I didn't play with any of that. What ever you do, DON'T LOOK AT HOW THEY DO THE BRAKE LINES ON STREET RODS!!
HUH?????? A stupid statement. I don't know what you have seen, but I use regular brake tubing with double flares on mine. How can you say this for all street rods???? Its quite apparent you haven't seen many street rods so you should not comment on what you don't know.

Last edited by paul2748; 10-17-2011 at 07:10 PM.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #11
paul2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafter View Post
I'm going to switch over to juice brakes on my Model A and would like to know what brand or kind of flaring kit to get. I understand that you have to be careful flaring brake lines, and I want to get a good kit.
Thanks, Hank
I use a double flare tool made by K-D # 2190. I have had it number of years so I don't know if they still make it. Practically goof proof and makes a very nice double flare. Built four cars with it and never had a flare leak. Usually can get it in a parts store.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I agree with Ken but would like to add after you have used a many standard lengths as possible go to a good brake shop and have them make the few remaining flares you need.

Charlie Stephens
This is how I did mine. Only had to get one new flare done. Cheaper and easier. The hydraulics place did the flare for nix for me.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
oldbugger

I have used a couple different flaring tools, my vote is for the Snap on quite goof proof. Important to ream the end of the tube with the right tool. Some types of tubing flare better than others. The benifits of making your own flares are that you can eliminate the unions you need to piece precut lengths togather for the long lines.
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
Firepower flyer

I use a flaring kit from Imperial Eastman nice kit.I also have several benders like the ones pictured.I agree on making your own,if you buy preset lenghts you usally have unions in line (yuck) or there too long and you try to use up the extra lenth with extra bends or curves in the line that don't need to be there.I like plumbing cars,if you take your time and use nice equipment it's not hard.I like to use a long piece of wire or coat hanger and make a template to copy,you will have much less waste.They also sell long pliers with curved ends for making really tight bends,they work great.
Joe
Firepower flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
Kurt in NJ

http://www.mastercool.com/pages/flaring_tools.html

I just made 120 feet of pipe, replaced all the lines in a Mercedes G wagon, very easy to work with
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:29 AM   #16
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
HUH?????? A stupid statement. I don't know what you have seen, but I use regular brake tubing with double flares on mine. How can you say this for all street rods???? Its quite apparent you haven't seen many street rods so you should not comment on what you don't know.
Sorry to have offended you. Most of the street rods I've looked at use what looks to be 1/8" tubing with all kinds of pipe thread fittings and it usually looks like loose wiring just kind of stuffed into place. Also, they usually have the long bulk head fittings to get thru the boxed frames, skinny braided hoses, etc. What I've noticed doesn't do anything for me... If you're running 1/4" hard lines, I know that you've put a lot of effort into keeping one of the car's features "as it should be.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #17
Firepower flyer

Not to hijack the orginal thread but most of the streetrods I have seen or done the plumbing is very nicely done,not original of course but at least safe.Now the rat rods that is another story.
Joe
Firepower flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #18
peteyshoes

most any reputable tool company kit will work rather well once you have it figured out. i suggest getting the kit you like--and then--- practice on some sacrificial line until you are comfortable with your work. then---get ur done!!
peteyshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #19
1oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
http://www.mastercool.com/pages/flaring_tools.html

I just made 120 feet of pipe, replaced all the lines in a Mercedes G wagon, very easy to work with
X2, I bought mine a few years ago and never looked back. The cheap ones and some good ones I had to put in a vice to keep the line from walking in the tool while trying to flair....not anymore .
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:33 AM   #20
barryfromvictoria

pete bs--- do you think that a 32 with stock peflared hydraulic brake lines makes it pass for stock? i would call it a streetrod the bonehead statements on this site just get better and better.
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote