Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
Stretch Cab

Default Then and Now

In a recent post a lot was said about the cost of restoring a Model A today. Very interesting post that got me thinking about the cost of owning my roadster. Actually made me a little depressed to think what it would cost to restore it again.
I then got to thinking what it would cost to buy my car today in comparison to when my mother bought the car for my Dad’s birthday in 1974. She paid $4,000.00 for the car which according to the website listed here would be equivalent to a little over $20,000.00 today. My car is nice but not worth that amount today.
Could my wife buy me a car for 20k today? Yes she could buy as good or better but I think it would be a lot harder for us to personally afford it today even though my wife makes more than my mother ever did.
I guess what I am saying is that I am very thankful for the car I was given. I totally understand why this is an older persons hobby as while the actual cost to buy the car may be about the same or even cheaper today other parts of the financial equation make it difficult to have the extra cash for an expensive hobby.
What would your car cost to buy today?

usinflationcalculator.com
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote