Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
chrs1961815

Default 28 Best Reproduction Radiator Cap

I took my old quail with a temperature gauge off of my 28 roadster which I now regret doing because the replacement doesn't thread all the way down. It is one of the famed Vintique reproductions. Now I need to return that and buy a new one. But I don't know which reproduction will be the best fit. Can anyone lend some advice?
chrs1961815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
rocket1

Default Re: 28 Best Reproduction Radiator Cap

Years back the replacements were well made,I would look for one,probably todays replacements are all foreign made no matter who sells them.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
chrs1961815

Any company that sticks out?
Old 08-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
P.S.

I went through the same situation a few years ago Ended up calling Bratton's and telling them about the lousy Vintique repro problem. Walt said to give him some time and he would find a good repro. About a month later, they sent me one of their new 28-29 repro radiator caps and it fit perfectly! I don't have a part number for you because they didn't invoice me. I'm sure if you call Brattons and explain, you could get one of the proper radiator caps.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
I went through the same situation a few years ago Ended up calling Bratton's and telling them about the lousy Vintique repro problem. Walt said to give him some time and he would find a good repro. About a month later, they sent me one of their new 28-29 repro radiator caps and it fit perfectly! I don't have a part number for you because they didn't invoice me. I'm sure if you call Brattons and explain, you could get one of the proper radiator caps.
I called them and got one ordered. Hopefully everything will turn out well. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

In the late 1950's or early 1960's, a man named Sheldon Greenwood in California began producing high quality parts for the Model A, including the Flying Quail cap. These were mostly the shiny, easy-to-bolt-on kind of parts. I understand he found an NOS cap to use as a basis. An alternate version says he was able to secure the spec's from the company that originally made the cap for Ford and aftermarket businesses. He sold out to the famous "Red" Grow, owner/restorer of the even more famous "Betsy" Sport Coupe. I have many issues of early "Restorer" magazines, whose outside back cover consists of a full page ad for Greenwood's repo parts. Oh, boy! Would I like to pay THOSE prices today!!! This space was later taken over by "Red" Grow after he bought the business. That answers the question about older repo parts quality. Yes - quality was there in SOME parts being remade years ago.
Anyway, that's the story that filtered into Iowa from MAFCA.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
In the late 1950's or early 1960's, a man named Sheldon Greenwood in California began producing high quality parts for the Model A, including the Flying Quail cap. These were mostly the shiny, easy-to-bolt-on kind of parts. I understand he found an NOS cap to use as a basis. An alternate version says he was able to secure the spec's from the company that originally made the cap for Ford and aftermarket businesses. He sold out to the famous "Red" Grow, owner/restorer of the even more famous "Betsy" Sport Coupe. I have many issues of early "Restorer" magazines, whose outside back cover consists of a full page ad for Greenwood's repo parts. Oh, boy! Would I like to pay THOSE prices today!!! This space was later taken over by "Red" Grow after he bought the business. That answers the question about older repo parts quality. Yes - quality was there in SOME parts being remade years ago.
Anyway, that's the story that filtered into Iowa from MAFCA.
Marshall
NOS model a parts - nowadays the only place you can find them is in heaven. I would kill to have one of his caps.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #8
Marshall V. Daut

And the parts seemed expensive then!!! I guess it's all relative.
Marshall
Old 08-01-2018, 06:24 PM   #9
barnstuf

Marshall's story is, I believe, not quite on target for details. I believe Red Grow was the original retailer of the quail cap, and after a few years he sold to Sheldon and Agnes Greenland who did business as Greenland Company. Their quails had their name visible when in the open position as if you were adding fluid, and it was under the gasket. After quite a few years the Greenlands divorced and Agnes continued the business for perhaps 10 years before selling it to Harold Looney who used the trade name Vintique and that was likely around 20 or so years ago. A comment was made that they were not made in USA, and I am not up to date on this, but as recently as about four years ago the quails came in a Vintique box with a Made in USA label. During the Greenland period they were made in USA, but bear in mind no product tooling lasts forever and in the many years of production may have been retooled.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #10
eagle

I have no idea what brand my quail motometer is, I got it from Macs about 5 years ago. Seals well, well made. I have no complaints.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #11
Marshall V. Daut

Thanks for the correction, Barnstuf. Stories like this usually get bounced around and beaten up once they leave the original source. By the time they reach my ears, I'm afraid the facts have been distorted through many tellings and re-tellings. I'm surprised after 50 years that even SOME of my details were correct! But I do know that the items these guys sold as various owners of the business were of excellent quality, back when such things mattered to the people making them.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 08-01-2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 08-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #12
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
Marshall's story is, I believe, not quite on target for details. I believe Red Grow was the original retailer of the quail cap, and after a few years he sold to Sheldon and Agnes Greenland who did business as Greenland Company. Their quails had their name visible when in the open position as if you were adding fluid, and it was under the gasket. After quite a few years the Greenlands divorced and Agnes continued the business for perhaps 10 years before selling it to Harold Looney who used the trade name Vintique and that was likely around 20 or so years ago. A comment was made that they were not made in USA, and I am not up to date on this, but as recently as about four years ago the quails came in a Vintique box with a Made in USA label. During the Greenland period they were made in USA, but bear in mind no product tooling lasts forever and in the many years of production may have been retooled.
My repro cap that wouldn't fit was a vintique. From some research I did many people have the same problem.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #13
F.M.
BANNED

If you look on E-Bay at the Completed Auctions section, you will find one or more of each name brands spoken of here.. It also has one 1930/31 Original one that some one stole..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote