Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #21
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Fan blades are BREAKING

On the back of the mounting flange of the fan is a small raised circular ridge that indexes the fan to the hub. Since this has happened on 2 fans it is possible that the recess this fits into is not concentric with the hub. I had a NOS hub that had to be machined because the recess was off center. This could be the source of unbalance even if the fan was perfect. Probably the reason this hub was in the parts bin was that fans didn't easily mount up.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #22
forte

How to remove pully from installed motor = remove lower radiator hoses from motor only, remove funny looking wish bone support member from fenders and center of axle, place large pipe wrench on pully flange lock in against left fender, 1.125" 6pt socket w/ breaker bar, Effort = loose pully. Thank you Dad.
I will take old pully and my next victim to machine shop for a balance test. Will update when I have answers. I like the rope idea. Thank you all.
forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #23
forte

Duce - So I remember this blade not falling into the hub recess as you describe. However the bolts drew it tight and I needed to tap the fan to get it off the hub shaft. i just rebolted it on the bech and the same thing. The bolts brought the two together and needed a tap to seperate. So. Are you saying that even if this happens it could still be off center?
Old 05-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #24
scooder

I don't have an answer for your fan issue, just a pointer on stopping the engine moving so you can undo the crank bolt. Don't use first or reverse gear. Use top gear. It works much better. With the radiator out, you can't beat a knocker gun.
Hope you find your issue.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #25
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Just get the breaker or ratchet handle pointed in a direction that gives some room, probably downward, and give it a good smack in the offward direction with a big rubber mallet. Okie impact wrench!

I wonder if the vibration might be based on some violence within the crank like a cylinder firing way too early from crossfire or wrong wiring...this can result in one cylinder trying to run backwards while one does nothing.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #26
deuce_roadster

Forte, if more then just a little pressure is needed to seat the fan or remove it, I would have the concentricity of the recess checked in a lathe by a machinist. Yes, it could be off a little. Things can get mis machined when manufactured.
The fact this happened 2 times makes me suspect the hub, not the fans, as the source of the problem.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #27
JWL
Member Emeritus

Put the transmission in 3rd gear and set the brakes. Too much torque multiplication in low or reverse.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #28
forte

Test drove the car w/out the fan on, just a different hub. And before I even get 100' I hear the rumble. So I will attemp to remove the trans and go after the pressure plate area. In doing so I will go over every darn thing I touch and inspect 100%. FYI, I felt a vibration in both the gas and clutch pedals while heavy racing of the motor while sitting still. And that rope trick did save a lot of hassel when installing the hub, I needed to align the key way. Thank you all again. I'm sure I will be asking for help as I get into it. Any one live near Hampstead MD and want to join the fun?
Old 05-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #29
53F100Jeffie

I had a fan blade come off on my 48 F1, which had a 51 Merc motor in it at the time. Went right through the hood. Scared the crap out of the kids and I. I am very wary of standing next to a running motor now.
I hope you find out what cause this. Good Luck!

Jeff

1929 Model A Fordor
1949 Ford F1 Panel Truck
1953 Ford F100 Pickup
2006 Ford F150 XLT Scab 4x4
"I'd rather drive a truck" - Rick Nelson
53F100Jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #30
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, Yikes, two broken fans and a rumble/vibration. I don't know anything about this model year. I sure hope somebody in the area can listen to this car to help point the diagnosis.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:18 AM   #31
JWL
Member Emeritus

Yeah, I don't know exactly what is going on?? Post#22 and several others were NOT showing at the time I wrote my comment. Perhaps I needed to refresh?

Thanks,
JWL
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #32
Terry,OH

It is amazing how much the pressure plate can be out of balance. It's a bit late to balance the crank but the flywheel and the clutch PP assembly. If you don't find another cause of the vibration.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #33
36coupe

With the transmission shifting issue, I have the same issue after changing the oil to 80/90wt and it was suggested to add a couple ounces of STP and that solved the grinding gears issue, especially when warmed up.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:42 AM   #34
cordbob

Not an expert but does the vibration you spoke of only happen under load or will it happen just bringing the r.p.m.s up in neutral.I chased a vibration that only under just the right load was causing the engine to move and contact the chassis. Maybe try loading up the drive train by power braking or with parking brake on ,have someone watch to see if that could be making your fan contact something.
cordbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #35
forte

The fan is not contacting anything. It rumbles sitting still and revving it and it rumbles getting up to 45mph. After that it purrs like a kitty. But going up hills it rumbles no matter what speed. Im taking it to a local car shhow this Sun. hope to get some people who know more than me to take some crakes at its health issue.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #36
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53F100Jeffie View Post
I had a fan blade come off on my 48 F1, which had a 51 Merc motor in it at the time. Went right through the hood. Scared the crap out of the kids and I. I am very wary of standing next to a running motor now.
I hope you find out what cause this. Good Luck!

Jeff
Jeff, I had the same thing happen on a 50 merc engine. Fan blades work hardened and cracked. Then one day when I was leaning over the engine giving it a little gas, fan blades went through the hood and radiator. Since then I learned: Never stand in the line of fire.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #37
Andy

Crank may be broken. I had a VW that broke the crank at the center main. Ran fine but had funny vibration and noises. More pronounced as the load increased.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #38
53F100Jeffie

Pretty Scary, lesson learned!!!

1929 Model A Fordor
1949 Ford F1 Panel Truck
1953 Ford F100 Pickup
2006 Ford F150 XLT Scab 4x4
"I'd rather drive a truck" - Rick Nelson
53F100Jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:49 PM   #39
deuce_roadster

I would be more then happy to help but you live 3000 miles from me. Good luck and let us know what was the cause.
I once had a situation where the car ran fine at idle but shook like it was unbalanced when revved up. After inspecting the plugs, I could see one hadn't been firing even though there was spark there when shorted with a screwdriver. After further inspection, I had somehow adjusted the intake on that cyl way wrong and it wasn't opening enough to let enough fuel in. It wasn't that noisy either. Adjusted it correctly and it purrs like a kitten. I doubt that is your problem but it can always be something really weird.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #40
JM 35 Sedan

Forte, I am a member of the EFV-8 C/A, RG36 here in MD, and I read your email to Norm that he forwarded to all of our club members. I am guessing that you either bought or borrowed a water pump if you are planning to drive your car from Hampstead to the Howard County Farm Museum this coming Sunday?? I would have liked meeting you and listening to that rumble noise, but unfortunately I cannot make it to that show due to family obligations that same day.
I may be a pessimist, but I believe you have something seriously wrong internal to your engine or possibly in the area of the flywheel that's causing components to break or otherwise fail. I really question driving your car, or even running the engine until you or a mechanic determines exactly what is wrong. Maybe you are planning to trailer to the show, but even then, if you have installed another fan, please do not allow anyone to be near the engine while it is running and the hood is open.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote