Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2012, 03:41 AM   #1
ajmac

Default How do I ID a Camshaft?

Hi Guys,
I have not posted before on this forum as I normally use HMVF for WW2 vehicles, this however may be the only place to find out the answer!

I've got what I believe to be an original factory fitted 1941 81A cam with the only markings being 5-T on the nose. I also have a cam from an unknown history 59A, again the only markings are 5-T on the nose. I have been told that I can't fit the 59A into the older block as the cam changed when the valve angles were adjusted from 101.5 deg to 100 deg when the 59A was introduced. Is this true? Secondly, how did Ford mark the cams, there MUST have been a part number to differentiate different grinds....or am I being too practical?
I don't hold up much hope on the numbers front as the cam from the 81A is the long nose type to drive the divers helmet distributor and the 59A is the short nose for the 1942-48 crab style distributor and they both have the 5-T stamped on them as mentioned earlier!

Thanks,
Alastair
ajmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: How do I ID a Camshaft?

I never paid much attention to that T-5 on the front, but there was a little thread on that a week or so ago. I'm building a 35 engine right now it has the the T-5 on the front. I think about all those T-5 cams have the same spec. There is no reason the 59 Cam won;t in the 41 engine. You'll just have to use the button on the front for the dist. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

As far as I can tell Ford did NOT account for the slight difference at cam; The last early cam change was the 21A, used on the last civilian and military early-angle blocks AND on the '46-48 59A with late angle.
The 21A cam eventually became the universal replacement part cam for all early engines, requiring the little length spacer for pre-1942 engines and changeover of timing gears on some earlier engines...
Pete the cam guy can probably comment on all of this.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Pete

The cams will interchange and run fine. However, The 46 to 48 cams were actually wrong on the bank seperation. They all had the 21A (early) timing. When we regrind one of these for a 59A type block we correct this.

Last edited by Pete; 12-10-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
ajmac

Thanks guys, you can consider me on the barn now! I will post some project photos soon.
Loyd Project on Facebook
Old 12-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Mike in AZ

welcome....this in a Bren carrier??....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
ajmac

Mike,
It's a Loyd Carrier, built from 1940-45 in Britain alone, however it's engine came from Ford UK, USA and Ford Canada, mine will have a USA manufactured 81A, it's original motor was the remains of a USA built engine, with bullet holes from its time on a firing range!
Loyds were built on a Ford UK truck chassis, turned back to front so that the rear axle sat at the front and the Flathead at the back. They were mainly used to tow anti-tank guns, many were used in Normandy, there is an image on the left panel, taken from the manual. It used many Bren carrier parts but was a private venture rushed into production when we were in fear of German invasion.

The 81A just after collection, Loyd Chassis and parts in the background...
Loyd Project on Facebook

Last edited by ajmac; 12-11-2012 at 04:01 PM.