Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #21
Mitch

Default Re: Surprise!

I must agree with Tim and Marco. The add is deceptive for sure.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #22
JD Miller

Jim,
Is this the Canadian Tire store located in the vicinity of Sherway Gardens Mall?

When our daughter and son-in-law lived on the west side of Toronto they took us to several cruise-ins at that Canadian Tire store. Could not believe the numbers of cars that were on display and the distance some owners had driven to participate.

They now live in Oshawa, but if this Model A is at the Canadian Tire mentioned Sabrina will take a drive over to check out the vehicle. She likes Model A Fords, even if this one is not exactly as advertised.
JD Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #23
Jim Parker Toronto

JD Miller, yes, this is the store located on the Queensway just east of the 427 and Sherway, in Etobicoke. (now part of Toronto) I have no idea of how long it will be on display there, but a quick phone call will confirm so she will not be disappointed! 416 255 5531
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #24
JD Miller

Jim,
Thank you for the information. Sabrina will call before making the trip. If it's still there she'll pack a lunch and get on the 401. 401; worlds longest parking lot!
JD Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #25
van Dyck

My "Ford Trucks since 1905" by James K. Wagner book shows the 255-A and the 150-A light commercial trucks as having polished stainless headlight bodies and polished stainless radiator shells (as per passenger cars), the same as shown on the placard description. BTW, what are the chances a Model A aficionado would win this truck?
van Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

" BTW, what are the chances a Model A aficionado would win this truck? "

Since the truck is being auctioned and not raffled, I would think the buyer would be quite into Model A's, unless he though he got it so cheap that he only bought it to turn a profit, but I haven't seen "cheap" at auctions since the early 80's.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #27
Craig Lewis

That's pretty sharp sleuthing Tim.
The right hand lower windshield sticker & right "luggy" tire does it for me. Definately the same car as shown on the sign.
....Getting back to the refurbished store display.
While the woodenwork pattern is not original (where in heck did that visor come from?)...I really think very few of the general public will know the difference and there will likely be some bidders who don't know or care.
*I agree the ad needs to be clarified as to what car is for sale.
I suppose too there should be some mention that the woodwork has been reproduced, but isn't that obvious? If they bring up the pattern being incorrect, shouldn't they point out the grille shell & headlights are all wrong?
The J. Standards list Manila Brown as the sole colour choice for 255-A...yet that's Rock moss or Niagra blue with a clear coat that looks plain silly (imho)
We haven't looked inside or under the hood yet...should wrong materials, alternators and repro parts be listed in detail?
Auctions rarely favour the faint of heart, especially car auctions ...it's a venue which favours the informed bidder.
The buyer needs to use due diligence before investing.
If this goes anything like the dozens of auto auctions I've attended I suspect you will see informed bidders drop off as the bidding escalates, and the uninformed higher bidders getting informed...albeit the hard way.
It's simply how auctions work and how higher prices get established.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote