Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2022, 07:44 AM   #1
Mikko_

Default Tillotson leaking fuel

The Tillotson carb on my coupe is leaking fuel from the fuel inlet line.

I tried a quick fix with some "thread tape" (don't know what it's called in English) but still leaking.

Any better ideas out there to stop the leaking or would I be better of installing the Zenith that also came with the car?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_1195.jpg (59.0 KB, 62 views)
Mikko_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:51 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Tillotson leaking fuel

It could be the compression fitting on the inlet line or is could be a deteriorated seat in the carburetor top housing. The zinc castings are soft and can be damaged by heavy handed application of torque. The Tillotson carburetors have been around nearly as long as the old Zenith carbs. They were a standard aftermarket carburetor along with the Marvel-Schebler type and both were made by divisions of Borg Warner Corp. The Tillotson model X design is still available new.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:54 AM   #3
CT Jack

The ferrule on the end of the tube should located approximately 3mm in from the end of the tube and should not have any deep scratches or distorted. Replace the ferrule if it is damaged. If the compression nut and ferrule are in good condition you should not need to use tape on the threads. If the leaking continues after proper tightening I would check the carburetor casting around the threaded port for cracks. Someone might have over tightened the nut or damaged the threads. If you find any sign of damage I would install the Zenith which is made of cast iron and was the original Model A carburetor .
I see you have the incoming gas line coiled. I would not keep this arrangement as it might cause vapor lock of the incoming fuel. The longer distance would allow the fuel temperature to increase before entering the carburetor. The line should be just long enough to properly make the connection.
CT Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:58 AM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

Follow the suggestions given so far and you'll find the problem. Given my past dismal experience with Tillotsons, however, I suspect the soft pot metal inlet threads have been damaged by an over-zealous tightening they received in the past. But all is not lost if those threads are bad! The carburetor can be saved.
One way to fix this condition is to use a gas-resistant epoxy to bed a new brass male-tipped inlet adaptor fitting in the carburetor. Choose an adaptor that not only fits in the carb's inlet hole, but will also accept the fuel line fitting. Vendors may sell such a fitting, such as for a Model "B" carb. Possibly your local hardware store can help. Take your carburetor half and old fuel line with you and test fit the new adaptor. Allow the epoxy to cure before installing the fuel line.
As recommended by "CT Jack", replace that coiled fuel line with the proper straight one. The Model A uses a gravity feed fuel delivery system and anything that interrupts the free flow of fuel will adversely affect performance. Passing through those coils on a horizontal plane (at the lowest point) will definitely mess up fuel flow, especially when climbing steep hills. The carb will suffer from fuel starvation. You will be able to use the correct original fuel line if you install the adaptor I recommend.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:30 AM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Good catch on the coiled fuel line. It appears to dip lower than the fuel level in the carburetor (twice) which definitely can't be good for flow.

With the limited amount of head pressure from the tank to the carb you want to minimize any resistance (including filters) that you can.

Snyder's has oversize ferrels that may benefit you. https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...9363&cat=41707

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-09-2022 at 10:44 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:37 AM   #6
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko_ View Post
The Tillotson carb on my coupe is leaking fuel from the fuel inlet line.

I tried a quick fix with some "thread tape" (don't know what it's called in English) but still leaking.

Any better ideas out there to stop the leaking or would I be better of installing the Zenith that also came with the car?
I’m a Zenith fan. If it’s in good shape? I would take it apart, clean it, blow out all the air ways, install and run.

In my opinion, Nothing Runs Like A “Zenith”.

Enjoy your new car.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:38 AM   #7
Mikko_

Thanks for all the advice.

Ordered a correct fuel line with fittings and a gasket set for the Zenith from a Swedish dealer.

Gonna try and change the fuel line with fittings first and see if that cures the leaking.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:43 PM   #8
Herb Concord Ca

If it still leaks with fuel coming out the inlet, try using a narrow strip of Teflon tape wrapped around the ferrule only. Two wraps. Make sure the tape is snug on the ferrule.
Test the inlet threads using a new nut threaded in by hand.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 01:44 PM   #9
Mikko_

A new correct fuel line with new ferrules did the trick, no more leaking.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:58 PM   #10
Marshall V. Daut

Hurray! Another problem solved by investigating possible causes through process of elimination. A great feeling of satisfaction resolving the problem yourself, eh? Such is the antique Ford hobby...
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote