Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2022, 05:28 PM   #21
nkaminar

Default Re: Mitchell overdrive

It is recommended to leave the tray in the Burtz engine because the big end of the rods create an oil fog that helps lubricate some of the engine parts. I am not sure that is true but I left mine in. I am considering drilling small holes (1/16 inch) in the bottom of each tray so that the oil completely drains out during an oil change. Don't do that with a stock engine as the oil in the tray provides instant lubrication for the rod bearings on startup.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:51 PM   #22
Lawrie

Dont drill any holes, take it from me
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-11-2022, 07:21 PM   #23
SonicRaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Lawrie, I considered a 3.54 gear set with my Burtz engine and decided to wait. I'm happy I did. In fact, I am beginning to question whether I need the O/D at all with the new engine. It revs so freely and smoothly that if I were cruising at say, 55 mph in O/D, the car is now happy in ordinary 3rd gear and "singing" in a higher key at that speed. I have a virtually new 3.54 set on the shelf and if I don't use them in another of my cars, they will likely sit there for who knows how long.
How strong an engine? There have been a couple of times when I have forgotten to take the car out of O/D when I stopped and taken off in high first with the camper behind. Sure, it didn't make my cheeks go baggy when I pressed the accelerator but it did it. That engine was not as powerful as the one in your P/U but might have had more grunt t the bottom end.
A 3.54 diff and O/D is a pretty high ratio - about the same as using 5.25X21 tyres on the rear of a 3.78 diff. I run that on my tourer and it gallops along. Your engine will handle it easily.
I ordered the O/D before I ended up with a Burtz Block. I've put about 1600 miles on the Block now and the O/D just arrived. If I had the block first, I most likely would not have gone the O/D route. The vast majority of the time I'm under 55, and the Burtz easily runs the higher speeds when I need it. I also run a synchronized v8 transmission with a CLING's adapter, so my 2nd gear is already just about perfect, making the O/D even less useful to me now.

It's here now though, so in it goes.
SonicRaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:13 PM   #24
updraught

If I remember right the Burtz is engineered for a sustained 112 mph.
If you have some of the Comp V tyres they are good for 149 mph so I guess you need to be careful.
A lot of the oiling in an engine is done by spash.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote