Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #21
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 361 Engine Knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewZ View Post

Hi and thanks for your advice and patience. The cam gear was after market but I haven't pulled it out yet. I should have it out in a day or two but I expect it does not have the spacer flange and will need a separate spacer. I'll post photos when I get it out.

I am prepping my other Edsel for trip across 2 state lines to the Early Ford V8 Club meeting tomorrow in Fitchburg, MA. It will be my first road trip in this car.
If you could, please photo the dis-assembly and components.

We will try to figure out on how to go about proper repair. FORD had a lot of trouble with this first design cam retainer system.

Two EDSELS and no photos ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:01 AM   #22
AndrewZ

Default Re: 361 Engine Knock

I measured the inner width of the current cam gear at 5/8". I have one on order at 1", and it looks to have a flange on it. I'm hoping that and a new fuel pump will put her right.
AndrewZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #23
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 361 Engine Knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewZ View Post

I measured the inner width of the current cam gear at 5/8". I have one on order at 1", and it looks to have a flange on it. I'm hoping that and a new fuel pump will put her right.
From what MANUFACTURER did you source the first cam gear? When laid on a flat surface, did both have the same height? Did the cam gear once installed align with the crank gear? Is the front cover stamped steel or cast alum?

It may be the early cam retainer button failed allowing the cam to move forwards. FORD had a lot of trouble and fixes until the retainer plate in 63.

Keep us informed please.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #24
56markII

You guys hit the nail on the head with the button and spring! My uncle used to have a 64 Ford station wagon with the newer updated 352. My father sold him a 332 he had as a spare for his 59 Ford in the form of a long block as it was rebuilt. The banana that assembled it for my uncle most certainly didn't notice the absence of any camshaft retainer and slapped the timing cover on as is. That engine always had an intermittent "mystery knock" for years. I purchased my uncles 64 Ford years later just for that engine that had low miles but it had rusted coolant plugs. While I was driving it home one blew out and the engine became overheated and started to use oil. When I tore it down to re ring it I noticed there was NOTHING to hold the camshaft against the thrust washer and there was a hole in the end of the camshaft. I got my hands on a good used spring and button assembly and the knock disappeared after assembling. As it turned out the knock is caused by the cam walking back and forth and the lobes knock against a lobe beside. It worked out okay because I put that engine in a 1959 Galaxie my Father purchased years later. As for my uncle, well that bastard never paid my father for the engine in the first place so it came back home eventually lol
56markII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #25
AndrewZ

So the root cause of my problem was a bad replacement fuel pump. The fuel pump arm had too much horizontal play and was banging against the timing cover. Replaced it with an electric fuel pump.
AndrewZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:10 AM   #26
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: 361 Engine Knock

Now isn't that something? You replaced the pump @ the same time as the chain?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)