Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2022, 01:01 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Merc piston options.

I have various 8ba blocks and I am getting ready to buy more parts for a build I want to do for my woodie wagon which has an overhauled 221 done by me. Very hilly where I live and in the past a merc crank has made a huge difference ib driveability. Std 4" crank has been ground to 10/20 and I have the bearings already. Now I need pistons in .030 size. I see a new set reasonably priced and brand name is 'rebuilder's choice'. Should I run away or maybe fine? It will be all stock heads, manifolds etc. I bet I won't do over 1000 miles a year. This build is just for that low end torque we love. Would entertain good used but see nothing in our swap meet section. Maybe someone has some from an upgrade to 3 5/16 or something. This 8ba has great bores and I dont want to get it bored larger. Thanks all.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:33 PM   #2
leon bee

Default Re: Merc piston options.

I got some Rebuilders Choice off ebay from somebody called Falcon Global. These had that black coating on the sides which made me nervous. But they look real good and my machine shop guy says they're good. Haven't run them yet.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:46 PM   #3
cas3

I think I got mine from Mac VP, Sorry, can't remember the brand he sells
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:50 PM   #4
51504bat

I was going to suggest checking with Red's Headers but he only lists Ross forged units for well north of $400.00. That may not be a bad price but my guess is that you don't need anything that HP. But you could give him a call. He just might have something more in the way of a stock piston for a Merc with a 4" crank. One thing for sure, he won't try to sell you Ford pistons with a 3 3/4" crank.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #5
Bored&Stroked

I'd give Mac VanPelt a call and also maybe checkout Speedway as well as Egge Machine.
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:53 PM   #6
KiWinUS

I have purchased a lot of parts from Falcon Global and all have been very good quality in my opinion.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:05 PM   #7
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I'd give Mac VanPelt a call and also maybe checkout Speedway as well as Egge Machine.
Yes, I recently bought STD Mercury pistons from VanPelt to go in my 81A block with a 4” crank. Good folks to do business with.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:29 AM   #8
GB SISSON

Thanks all, I will call Mac in the morning. The Global ones were something in mid 300 buck range....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 06-09-2022, 04:24 PM   #9
pistonbroke

Hi Gary, Van Pelt is a good couple work with. I do on many projects. The rebuilders choice has worked well for me and others here in Olympia. My flathead Cadillac rebuild was almost all Falcon global parts as there was not much choice out there on old Cad parts. We have about 15000 miles on it to date an no issues. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:35 PM   #10
GB SISSON

Well today I went off the island for a cardiologist visit and that comes with a list on mainland struff when you haven't been off for 6 or 7 months. Hopefully can make a few calls tomorrow to get these coming. The block they are going in was a rebuilt that sat in a garage. I bought it at the Portland swap meet and upon dissasembly it looked liked the one shown in the new '32 BB thread with white grease on all the bearings etc, everything new and clean for the most part, but I am sooo dead set on a 4" crank and I got this one from a collector on a neighboring island and had it ground about 2 years ago. So I will cough up the dough for new pistons. A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.