Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
writer01

Default 1940 Ford coupe rear spring stack thickness

Hello,
I am restoring a 1940 Ford deluxe coupe. It is my understanding it originally came with an 8-leaf unit. My car had 12 (!) leaves and a very harsh ride. I had Eaton-Detroit Springs make me a new 8-leaf spring to the original blueprints.

When I try to install it, the stack thickness is such that it sits recessed way up in the cross member channel, that the 2 U-bolts and tie bars won't clamp it, there is about a 1/2" gap remaining.

Am I missing a plate, or a special tie bar with a thicker protruding part to be able to reach the bottom of the spring to be able to tighten it? 8 leaves isn't very much, and it's certainly thinner than what was in there.

All the pictures I've seen are of '40 convertibles, which use a thicker spring pack and they seem to fit nicely in the cross-member channel with perhaps 1/4" recessed room which the tie bars can accommodate without bottoming out when tightening them up.

Am I missing something?

Thank you,
Boris.

Last edited by writer01; 09-21-2017 at 05:58 PM.
writer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
funrunr

Default Re: 1940 Ford coupe rear spring stack thickness

This may seem like a ridiculous question, do you have the correct base piece on your u-bolt? I know these are thicker and might be what is needed to account for the extra space. I have extra ones and can take a picture if needed.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
writer01

Hello and thank you for replying. You are right, I have no idea if I have the correct base or "clip bar" piece. Some are almost flat, others have a rather thick protruding part that can go inside the channel and clamp against the spring bottom. Did these come in extra thick versions for the 8-leaf spring models? It seems like I need 1" to make up, which is a lot.

That's why I was wondering if there originally was some kind of metal reinforcement bar between the spring and the channel frame - although that would then block the centering bolt from reaching the hole up there. I will temporarily put a piece of metal in between the spring and the clip bars to make up the gap, until I find the right pieces for this car.

Please send me pictures of what you have.

Best regards,
Boris

P.S. My original 11-leaf spring set up:

The new spring is so much thinner, you can envision it being recessed almost 1" inside the channel! There is no way to clamp it. I can't understand why.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #4
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Sometimes the spring maker cannot get the stock thickness ,same tension but thinner ,you could make a packer for the top with a hole for the bolt ,.Needs to be greased to soften the ride ,Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
writer01

Here is a more detailed explanation of what I'm encountering. I'm hoping someone has pictures of the 8-leaf version of the rear spring mounted in their car.

http://ambroadcastradio.com/springproblem.html

@funrunr I'm interested in the base plates you have.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #6
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by writer01 View Post
Hello,
I am restoring a 1940 Ford deluxe coupe. It is my understanding it originally came with an 8-leaf unit. My car had 11 leaves and a very harsh ride. I had Eaton-Detroit Springs make me a new 8-leaf spring to the original blueprints.

When I try to install it, the stack thickness is such that it sits recessed way up in the cross member channel, that the 2 U-bolts and tie bars won't clamp it, there is about a 1/2" gap remaining.

Am I missing a plate, or a special tie bar with a thicker protruding part to be able to reach the bottom of the spring to be able to tighten it? 8 leaves isn't very much, and it's certainly thinner than what was in there.

All the pictures I've seen are of '40 convertibles, which use a thicker spring pack and they seem to fit nicely in the cross-member channel with perhaps 1/4" recessed room which the tie bars can accommodate without bottoming out when tightening them up.

Am I missing something?

Thank you,
Boris.
Boris, Your coupe could have been built with either an eight leaf or nine leaf rear spring - both were "stock". In fact, a ten leaf was optional. Ford utilized spring shackle bars and bolts respective of the number of spring leafs.
It is very possible that your original spring, bolts and / or shackle bars were replaced through the years. That begs the question of just what you are working with and are the pieces "matched" correctly.
Also, buying a spring from Eaton does not a "restoration" make. Their springs fit and function but are hardly correct.
My guess is you have incorrect bars and bolts.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #7
19Fordy

Boris, Here's a photo of my OEM Ford DeLuxe rear spring and U-bolts..40 spring plate is also shown. It has a raised center portion that fits up inside the cross member and cradles the spring. Hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9637.jpg (69.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2615.jpg (44.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2612.jpg (41.2 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 09-21-2017 at 05:39 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
writer01

Thank you everyone for your comments. I agree, the spring manufacturer used slightly thinner leaves, and my car has been messed with through the years so that the bolts, plates, etc. are not the correct ones. I'm not after a 100% show room restoration, but would like the car to feel and drive correctly, and if I can get this spring mounted properly I think all will be well. Thank you for the photo of the original spring and mounting hardware. This is what I expected it to look like, it's not quite as recessed as mine, but close.

Does anyone have these extended spring plates for both front and rear to handle the thinner spring packs of the standard coupe? (8 rear, 10 front), plus the correct threaded U-bolt lengths for sale?

Thank you again,

Boris
Old 09-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #9
john in illinois

You can make spacers from your old spring to go on top as Ted suggested. If you are 3 leaves short put in 3 12' or so pieces cut from center of old spring. Keep your ride height and use stock u bolts and clamp.
John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
writer01

John, the spacer leaves would be placed between the bottom of the spring and the 2 U-bolt plates, correct?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #11
funrunr

Here is a picture of the ones I have. Unfortunately I don't know or remember the amount of leaves these were used with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1187.jpg (51.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1186.jpg (52.0 KB, 27 views)