Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Maurer1929

Default Driving Speed

I realize we all drive faster today then in the late 1920's but does anyone know how fast Models were originally driven? What speed was the Model A design to cruise at on a good road of the day I would assume the roads weren't very good so I would guess 20-30 mph was about average or was it higher?
Maurer1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
mrtexas

Default Re: Driving Speed

The limit was the roads. A lot of major highways were gravel in Model A days. US90(I90) thru Montana where my dad lived was still a dirt road in the 30s. He used to earn extra money pulling cars out of ditches with a team in the wintertime.

I can answer a question with a question. How fast do you drive down gravel roads with lots of ruts in them?
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Special Coupe Frank

Mr Texas raises a great point, one that I usually bring-up on this subject.

In 1928-31, there weren't many roads in this country that would let you run at 50-60 MPH for any great distance.... perhaps for sprints of a couple miles...

The Pennsylvania Turnpike from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh is generally regarded as one of the first "modern" high-speed highways in America... it opened in 1940.

On good (paved) roads, I usually run about 50-55 MPH max with my stock, unrestored 86,000+ mile '28 Special Coupe, or the posted speed limit, which ever is less.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
J Franklin

the old saying went - cruise all day at 45.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
RcT

I did a short trip to a neighboring town yesterday and was wondering pretty much the same thing... I had it up to 45 mph, but felt I was putting a bit too much on the old girl. 40 seemed like tops, for me anyway. When I saw i was causing a backup of cars behind me, I would move on over to the shoulder and let them by. Most of the people gave me the thumbs up, and a wave. I was also wondering on the brand new Model A's what it was like above that speed... were they experiencing the drone of the motor, the rattles of the choke rod and brake rods, the heat through the floorboards, generally just the uneasiness of the speed? For me, 40-45 is tops. Mine is all stock, no speed stuff, and that feels comfortable and safe for me. Maybe with a balanced engine, counterweights, float-a-motor mounts and such, things feel better, I don't know.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
bobpo

RcT, I'm with you on this one, 45 mph feels great on a newly completely restored '30 cpe.
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Gary/IA

I know that my dad, who was born in 1889 and lived through the model A period, would never permit any one to drive his model A over 45.

That was his rule in the early 1940's, prior to that we will never know. I suspect if anyone tried to see how fast they would go, it would have been him.
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
glenn in camino

I live in the California foothills and our club tours are usually at 40-45 mph on hilly, 2 lane roads lined with pines and oaks.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
Kurt in NJ

I remember reading a story about a worker at a dealer that used his roadster to transport drivers to the factory to take delivery and drive the new cars back to the dealer, he was talking about driving speeds in excess of 60 --he got paid on the baisis of the number of trips.

When I try to drive 45 I always find the speed creeping up over 50 to whatever traffic is going.
I have driven comfortably at speeds of 60-65 all day(stock, no overdrive--good working shocks)

Last edited by Kurt in NJ; 10-02-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: more
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
RcT

One more thing... I am not active in any car clubs for many reasons, but one of the major ones was the road race that seemed to always ensue when going on a tour. The owners with the overdrives wanted to do 55 or 60, because they could. If you had a stocker, tough luck. I would like to find just a couple other people to tour with, stock setups, who enjoy traveling the back roads at comfortable speeds... 45 tops. Short trips, 50 miles max, lunch and home. It just doesn't seem to happen. There is safety and comfort in numbers and a small group would be ideal to me. Cross country tours, overdrives, 16" wheels, fat tires, juice brakes, air conditioning are fine for others, but I think keeping them as they were is the way to go. To each his own.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
Popeye31

I just took a 60 mile trip with the New Orleans As my local club and I guess we were doing 40-45 and my dads 29 CCpickup felt like it was going to vibrate apart if I backed off to about 30-35 the vibrating stoped.
Popeye31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
Mitch Bunkin in PA

Rct--I agree with you.

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Mitch Bunkin in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #13
29RPU

This has been discussed before (not that I mind, but I remember the consensis). Henry designed them tor run at 60, but the opinion of the FB group was that it wasn't intended to be constantly run that fast. The key seems to be the tolerances that Ford built the cars with that generated very little vibration and allowed for faster speeds. Now a days, most of the engines that are rebuilt, tho done well, are not as precise as originally released, hence there are quite a few model A's that vibrate a bit more and are more comfortable at the 45 mph range. Those that are using a balanced set up seem to be comfortable doing 60 or so. Ultimately, even if a car can achieve 60, how many of us want to run any vehicle 'wide open' for any length of time....thus, back to 45 being a comfortable speed for your A to run consistently. That is how I remember the last thread discussion.
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #14
Bob Johnson

I did a survey and one of the questions was "What is your highway touring speed". The results were:

<30 --- 0 (0%)
30-35 --- 0 (0%)
35-40 --- 8 (9%)
40-45 --- 22 (25%)
45-50 --- 27 (31%)
50-55 --- 20 (23%)
55-60 --- 7 (8%)
60-65 --- 3 (3%)
>65 --- 0 (0%))

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #15
CarlG

On all the "tours" I have taken with our group, the target speed is 50. It may creep up a bit to an occasional 55, and may fall to 45 on some of the steeper grades. We also strive to be courteous and let traffic pass whenever we impede the flow of traffic. Of course it's the law in Alaska as well.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #16
Chuck Kuntz

I just ran the Glidden Tour out of Cumberland, Maryland with my 1931 pickup. 40-45 mph all week. A little slower on some of the scenic mountain roads. It was a tour not a race. Had a great time with my son.
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #17
2manycars

Most of the many model A's I have owned and driven are happiest at 45. My tudor has the 3.54 rear end and is happy at 45-50. I have had it up to 60, but 45-50 seems best. It is not just about the motor. The 7 tooth steering has a little slop in the box, the narrow original type 21 inch tires and the brakes all remind me it is not a modern car. I have driven this car over 35 years, and know it well, and 45-50 feel right. The photo in the avatar was taken in 1976.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #18
Kevin in NJ

In the 1928 service letters, that have been reprinted, the dealers were instructed to show that the car could run 60 MPH and show the customer how effective the brakes were at stopping. They also instructed the dealer to not baby the car.

Read the Legendary Model A Ford to read some accounts of how the A was used when they were new.

Today many cars are assembled with little understanding for the original accuracy used by Ford. The unbalanced engine with a bunch of good used parts in the driveline leads to a car that 45 is likely to be too fast for safety. As I have found out, restoring the factory accuracy in the mechanical parts is not cheap or easy. To make matters worse, there is a lot of wrong or bad advice on how to assemble the parts.

Link to my comments on the Model A

Finally, while I advocate the factory A is quite capable of running 60 MPH all day long that is not saying you have to drive that fast. BUT a car built to back to factory specs is a sweet car to drive at any speed. The car is also likely to run thousands of trouble free miles.
On the other hand, some of the cars I have seen are a chore to drive and 45 MPH you are really pushing the safe upper limits. Most I would want in front of me cause I do not think the cars can stop from 45.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #19
TMB

It has been said here before...it is not only a question of how fast but will you be able to safely stop at these higher speeds.
TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcT View Post
One more thing... I am not active in any car clubs for many reasons, but one of the major ones was the road race that seemed to always ensue when going on a tour. The owners with the overdrives wanted to do 55 or 60, because they could. If you had a stocker, tough luck. I would like to find just a couple other people to tour with, stock setups, who enjoy traveling the back roads at comfortable speeds... 45 tops. Short trips, 50 miles max, lunch and home. It just doesn't seem to happen. There is safety and comfort in numbers and a small group would be ideal to me. Cross country tours, overdrives, 16" wheels, fat tires, juice brakes, air conditioning are fine for others, but I think keeping them as they were is the way to go. To each his own.
what a bunch of inconsiderate weasels.....
our Town Sedan has some nice mods and will run 60 easily, 55 all day comfortably.
when I'm touring with friends who have 45mph cars, I let them set the pace; our car loafs along and we enjoy the drive.