Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2023, 06:22 PM   #1
AYooperA

Default Quality New Front Leaf Spring

Looking for a quality source for a new 10 leaf front spring. Spoke with Synders and they do not have a definitive time when their better “show” quality spring will be available again. Tried searching old posts & noted A Springs no longer in business. Posies Spring looks like geared towards a hot rod market. Detroit Eaton Spring looks promising like they make a nice replacement. Sure would appreciate some feedback if someone used their spring. Not doing a points car but want something that fits properly and provides the correct stance.
AYooperA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 08:57 PM   #2
Ernie Vitucci

Default Re: Quality New Front Leaf Spring

Good Evening...I purchased a new set of rear springs from Eaton Detroit Spring and they fit perfectly on our 1949 Packard. They ride well and the car sits as it should. They were produced on time to the day and shipped at reasonable cost. You can buy with confidence by my experience with them. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 06:47 AM   #3
AYooperA

Ernie, Thanks for the info on Detroit/Eaton. My front spring is very tired from holding up the car for 94 years. Says it would like to retire, perhaps move to one of those retirement communities maybe even some travel.
AYooperA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:09 PM   #4
Ernie Vitucci

Understand...The Packard looked like it was about to sit down when we purchased her. The new springs put her back on her lines...she shares the garage with our 31 Tudor! Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 09:48 PM   #5
J Franklin

A truck machine shop or repair shop can get your spring re-arched. I had the sagging rear springs done on my '66 Mustang. Told them I wanted the car to ride 1" over stock in the rear, and it turned out perfect.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:25 PM   #6
alexiskai

YMMV, but I was not able to find any spring shop around these parts that was willing to re-arch Model A springs. To do it properly you need the original drawings or some kind of spec to fit to.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:54 PM   #7
J Franklin

Surely someone in the hobby can provide you the proper specification for a model A Ford front spring.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:05 PM   #8
Chris Haynes

My A is a driver and not a showpiece. I am extremely happy with the Super Slider springs I bought from Posies.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 05:43 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
YMMV, but I was not able to find any spring shop around these parts that was willing to re-arch Model A springs. To do it properly you need the original drawings or some kind of spec to fit to.
Colin, if they were saying they needed the original drawings, then IMO they were looking for an excuse not to do the work. What is the chances they have all of the factory drawings for every boat trailer spring, utility trailer spring, or truck spring they work on??

As far as the original drawing, it is available from the archives under part number A-5310. I used it for dimensions to cut sweeps for each of the leaves so we can re-arch them. While I have heard that a spring needs to be heated-treated again after it has been re-arched. I have Model-A springs that have been re-arched, -some nearly 10 years ago that do not appear to have lost their tension or shape. While I am sure it is possible for them to lose some, I liken it much like folks telling me not to weld on Model-A gas tanks because they will explode.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0372.jpg (70.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2093.jpg (36.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2094.jpg (23.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2092.jpg (28.0 KB, 24 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 05:54 AM   #10
alexiskai

“Sweeps” is the word I was looking for but couldn’t think of, thanks. Anyway they didn’t want to do a one-off.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:52 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
“Sweeps” is the word I was looking for but couldn’t think of, thanks. Anyway they didn’t want to do a one-off.
I understand.

(Bring one 'over the mountain' and I see another fine video for you to upload in your future. )

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 06-15-2023, 07:11 AM   #12
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I understand.

(Bring one 'over the mountain' and I see another fine video for you to upload in your future. )
When I'm ready I'll bring two and we will definitely do that.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:07 AM   #13
J Franklin

I live in Oregon and find machine shops that will straighten axles and other bent parts, re-arch springs, weld up and machine down worn parts, make and press bushings, hone cylinders to size, & etc. why are your shops so timid?

Last edited by J Franklin; 06-15-2023 at 10:09 AM. Reason: more services!
Old 06-15-2023, 04:18 PM   #14
Gene F

What Brent said.... I agree.

Rearchinbg a spring that old may very well break, or a leaf will break soon thereafter. Just pointing this out.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 07:37 PM   #15
Stage1gs

I put a 12 leaf Detroit Eaton spring in the front of my 30 Tudor to replace the 11 leaf spring. I didn’t know the age of the old spring and it was noticeably flatter than the new spring. It fit well but I needed longer u-bolts. Keep that In mind.. it rides better.
Stage1gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 06:49 AM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage1gs View Post
I put a 12 leaf Detroit Eaton spring in the front of my 30 Tudor to replace the 11 leaf spring. I didn’t know the age of the old spring and it was noticeably flatter than the new spring. It fit well but I needed longer u-bolts. Keep that In mind.. it rides better.
What was your reasons for installing a 12 leaf vs. the original 10 leaf?? I would have thought it would have ridden like a truck.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 06-17-2023, 06:20 PM   #17
Stage1gs

Yeah, it rides pretty well considering it has 12 leafs. My original spring had 11 leafs. The Eaton Detroit website says the Tudor sedan originally had a 12 leaf spring with thinner leafs, and it was replaced with a 10 leaf spring with thicker leaves.. but they sent me a 12 leaf spring. Aside from needing longer u-bolts it rides pretty good and doesn’t have the up and down oscillation that I had with the old spring.

https://eatondetroitspring.com/db/es....3L+-+200.5cid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (87.9 KB, 19 views)
Stage1gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 09:53 PM   #18
Joe K

Pretty sure that only a 10 leaf spring was used on the Model A Ford CAR.

Sometime around 1929 a Service Bulletin announcement indicated that "12 Leaf Spring is now made available to those cars subject to severe service."

Meanwhile, the AA truck soldiered along from the beginning with a front spring that was the same width as the rear spring of the Model A Car. (2-1/4")

I have seen the Eaton "selector" and while the 12 leaf spring is shown, it has a "spring rate" of 343 lbs/inch. The 10 leaf spring has a spring rate of 315 lbs/inch. So it appears the 12 leaf spring is "stiffer." https://eatondetroitspring.com/db/es....3L+-+200.5cid

This may or may not affect how you perceive your ride - your car will just ride at a different "height."

Curiously, Eaton Spring on their site indicates springs are made to original blueprints. This statement is at odds with a respondent here who indicated that Eaton had said to him they couldn't be troubled to produce the Model A spring in varying leaf thicknesses (as Travis Cook has) due to the cost, but that their "engineered" springs embodied the newest (and ostensibly better) technology - and allowed them adjustment to "ride height."

My 1970s era bought "JC Whitney" replacement spring "emulates" the Model A spring to include slightly tapered leaves. All 10 leaves are the same thickness. I have compared it "deflection wise" with an original but "worn" Model A spring. The JCWhitney is considerably "stiffer" but some of this may come from a now "relaxed" older Model A example.

As I've said elsewhere - JC Whitney likely a trailer spring of similar size.

And spring tensioning is not forever.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 06-18-2023 at 08:17 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote