Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #41
my4dv8

Default Re: water pump bolt

I would never use an Allen head cap screw, well not in a hidden location. When the next guy comes to undo the bolt he will take the hose off and wont be able to figure out why he cant get a 9/16 socket on there. after an hour or cursing he may be able to get a mirror in there with a torch to see what the heck is going on, then curse the PO for putting a Allen head Cap screw in there.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #42
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4dv8 View Post
I would never use an Allen head cap screw, well not in a hidden location. When the next guy comes to undo the bolt he will take the hose off and wont be able to figure out why he cant get a 9/16 socket on there. after an hour or cursing he may be able to get a mirror in there with a torch to see what the heck is going on, then curse the PO for putting a Allen head Cap screw in there.

This thread really has some legs, maybe short ones.

Probably whether they work in this situation, or do not is probably more subjective and mute to most. Stainless has worked for a while now with no issues that I know of. Who knows in 100 yrs...

Allen head bolts just don't belong on a flathead, aesthetically, in my opinion. Internally or externally. There is a saying about something "sticking out like "" on a bull", that comes to mind. Just my opinion... but do what works.

Last edited by Tinker; 12-08-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #43
Bored&Stroked

I use cad plated grade 8 bolts with anti-seize. One thing to ponder on all the "stainless is bad" comments --> this is probably because we tend to think of hardware grade, non-graded (and soft) stainless hardware --- not quality alloys. This was about all I "grew up with" - and therefore never used. But times have changed and you can buy a surprising amount of high-strength stainless hardware these days --- it is surely NOT cheap, but available.

Here is a description from an ARP starter bolt set: These starter bolts are made from ARP Stainless, a 100% maintenance free stainless steel material that is stronger than Grade 8 hardware and tough enough to easily withstand the strain of a 10 to 15 pound starter cantilevered off the back of an engine. Bolts have standard shank knurling. Rated at 170,000 psi.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #44
JSeery
Member Emeritus

ARP stainless bolts are the ones I have had breakage issues with! I just see no need to mess with them, but that's just me.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #45
JM 35 Sedan

We probably need to do a poll on this one (+_+)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #46
Ol' Ron

Considering all the flathead water pumps I've removed in my lifetime, I've never had any problems with the hidden bolt.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote