Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2015, 11:44 PM   #21
Phil

Default Re: Oh No!!! another whitewall thread

3 of the tires on my 31 roadster turned brown. Tried everthing IIcould thinks of. A friend suggested scrubbing bubbles bath room cleaner. Did a darn good job. Still a little dark but 90% better
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:19 AM   #22
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Case solved. Get Mitch to remove them free and get the replacements. What else can you ask for? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #23
stouchton

I want to thank Mitch for his offer - but I am too old school and would need to pay him for his time.

I have successfully changed all 6 tires by hand and have researched the techniques and adopted a few of my own. Unfortunately I have a torn rotator cuff, so changing tires takes too much alcohol to control the pain, which then interferes with changing tires.....

Mike at Universal has been great to deal with, however Goodyear has changed their tune a little bit. They want me to first try cleaning them with lacquer thinner and a rag.

This may actually work out in my favor - If I can clean them, and keep them clean that is of course the easiest solution!

Now the monkey wrench.... wife said if I am taking the tires off lets get the wheels powder coated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #24
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stouchton View Post
I want to thank Mitch for his offer - but I am too old school and would need to pay him for his time.

I have successfully changed all 6 tires by hand and have researched the techniques and adopted a few of my own. Unfortunately I have a torn rotator cuff, so changing tires takes too much alcohol to control the pain, which then interferes with changing tires.....

Mike at Universal has been great to deal with, however Goodyear has changed their tune a little bit. They want me to first try cleaning them with lacquer thinner and a rag.

This may actually work out in my favor - If I can clean them, and keep them clean that is of course the easiest solution!

Now the monkey wrench.... wife said if I am taking the tires off lets get the wheels powder coated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NP you can pay me a nickel the offer always stands
you have a very smart wife also
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #25
stouchton

Wanted to thank all for the replies. I will be sure to let you know what works to make these tires look pretty - or if I end up having them replaced.

Below are a couple pics that were sent to Goodyear for those interested:

Old 01-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #26
1931 flamingo

Definetly something wrong there. Screw the lacquer thinner. Get them to change them.
Also let Goodyear know about this thread and how updates/results will be posted here.
JMO

Paul in CT I'm going to move closer to Mitch: Free T shirt, tire mounting, advice, etc.
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #27
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Definetly something wrong there. Screw the lacquer thinner. Get them to change them.
Also let Goodyear know about this thread and how updates/results will be posted here.
JMO

Paul in CT I'm going to move closer to Mitch: Free T shirt, tire mounting, advice, etc.

Don't forget Rotella coupons too.

Good idea about informing Goodyear of this thread. Most manufacturers don't like bad publicity.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #28
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

My neighbor had a set of Firestones replaced about 5 years ago. He offered to buy the old W/W back and he would turn them inside out and install them on another car. The dealer said that was not possible and cut a slash in the whitewall of each tire and then threw them in the garbage. Tires had about 200 miles on them. What a waste. Wayne
Old 01-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #29
Tom Wesenberg

The last time I scrubbed whitewalls was in the mid 60's. I prefer them with patina, as stouchton's first picture shows. Bright white is just too................
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #30
Chuck Sea/Tac

Powder coating is well worth doing.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:20 AM   #31
Skeezixx

The only set of whitewalls I have are languishing in the warehouse since I switched to Blackwalls. Before that they were on the car for 33 years. Still white under the dust.

I have experienced brand new sets of Blackwalls having a brown coating which proved extremely hard to remove. I asked about this and was told that the brown was residue from some chemical used to aid in removing the tire from the mold.

Brillos and elbow grease worked for me but I had to take a few runs at it.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:23 AM   #32
pooch

Why is the spare so much whiter ?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:36 AM   #33
Tom Wesenberg

Back to the two pictures in #25, why is the color of the wheels so different? Darker wheel has darker whitewall, so how much is the lighting or camera changing what we see?

BTW, I still think the whitewalls on the car look fine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:30 AM   #34
C26Pinelake
BANNED

[QUOTE=Tom Wesenberg;1020613]Back to the two pictures in #25, why is the color of the wheels so different? Darker wheel has darker whitewall, so how much is the lighting or camera changing what we see?

BTW, I still think the whitewalls on the car look fine.[/QUO

I agree with Tom. The lighting in the picture is significantly different.. One rim looks cream color and the other a shade of orange, Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 01-23-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:28 AM   #35
springerpete

I guess some ww's are better than others. I have Lester's from TAMS and clean them a couple times a season with SOS pads and water. No yellow/brown problems. Friend also has same tires from same supplier and his are dark yellow. Go figure.

For mounting my tires I used a mixture of dish washing liquid and water and made my own tire irons out of oak. Same shape as a tire iron. They did not chip any paint at all.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #36
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Back to the two pictures in #25, why is the color of the wheels so different? Darker wheel has darker whitewall, so how much is the lighting or camera changing what we see?

BTW, I still think the whitewalls on the car look fine.
From my observation, those are two different brands tires, one is Firestone, same as I have and the other is Goodyear. You can see the difference in the tread and wall.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #37
1wonton
BANNED

If you really want white tires on your old Ford why not save some money, buy blackwalls and paint them white? They would look just as ridiculous as the more expensive tire and you could keep repainting them when they get dirty. But then I guess if your that worried about your whitwalls then you probably never drive the car in the first place.
1wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #38
stouchton

Lighting in the pics was not real good - sorry about that.

Wheels are exact same color. Front tire is a Goodyear, side mounted spare is a 40+ year old Allstate. Just wanted to show Goodyear that only their tires turned brown.

The lacquer thinner easily removed the brown discoloring - I am just not sure what this means. And I am not sure lacquer thinner is good for a tire!
Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #39
stouchton

As a follow up - cleaned all the tires up in January and now they are all brown again....

So working with Universal Tire to have them replaced - however, I am looking for Goodyear to take care of me here with shipping, removal and mounting costs.

If they do not, I will most likely replace them with Firestones - in that event these tires will be available.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #40
rocket1

Diamond Back Classics tire catalog has a good article on whitewalls turning color,you can reach them at 1-888-922-1642,basically there is no barrier between the black tire rubber and the white wall.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote