Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
Green&White

Default "Fingerhut" seat covers

Our '59 Custom was fitted with clear plastic seat covers from the Fingerhut corporation (see attached photo). I still have a remnant of one of them; it was embossed with something like a half-inch square union-jack honeycomb pattern.

2 questions:

- Did they just cover the seat or the seat-back as well.
- are there reproductions or NoS available? In rolls or of the made-to-fit final product ?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (5.9 KB, 28 views)
Green&White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
CrownVic55

Default Re: "Fingerhut" seat covers

I put a set on a 68 full-size Ford fastback. Covered the seat, back rest-front and back and rear seat completely. Wore like iron and kept them on until kids got old enough to not spill everything the got their hands on.
Ben
CrownVic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #3
40 Deluxe

Back every new car buyer got an order form from Fingerhut with a sample of that clear plastic material. And a lot of owners bought the seat covers because factory upholstery wore through in no time!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
packrat5
BANNED

You know.......Fingerhut is still in business, a contact with them just may result in something. It's worth a try. My parents always installed those seat covers in every one of their cars. I distinctly remember as a youngster, sliding into the back seat in the summer when the sun had done it's job, and the excruciating pain when my bare legs in shorts contacted the plastic heated to about 500 degrees or so.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

My dad had Fingerhut clear plastic seat covers in his '58 Fairlane. If I remember correctly there were little gold stars all over them.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
Barry-ct

My Dad had them on all the seats in his 64 Buick Special Station wagon ( sorry not a Ford ) and I remember the pattern. And, yes, they were tough on the legs and butt in the summertime! 6 of us kids and Mom and Dad would pile in that new car and off we'd go for a ride. Oh, to go back in time.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:41 AM   #7
Green&White

I tried contacting Fingerhut. They have evolved into the Sears catalog: housewares, bathrobes, etc. All online sales. Looks like they only supply the modern nylon seat covers.
I wonder if any of the restoration suppliers like SMS or LeBaron remanufacture the old-style plastic ones. I have seen photos of cars at shows with what look like new examples of these covers.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:11 AM   #8
rnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Back every new car buyer got an order form from Fingerhut with a sample of that clear plastic material. And a lot of owners bought the seat covers because factory upholstery wore through in no time!

Yup! My Grandfather had their seat covers on every car he owned, also on the sun visors.

When he got ready to sell off/trade in his car, out came his sharpened pocket knife and off came the clear covers!

Buyers/salesmen always marveled over his clean interiors.
rnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
rnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
... And a lot of owners bought the seat covers because factory upholstery wore through in no time!

The only "wear spot" on the otherwise perfect interior on my low mileage '65 Galaxie has is on the edge of the driver's side/edge cloth & vinyl seat. Disappointing for less than 60K miles! But those older than me assure me this is normal wear for that time period.

rnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #10
junkyardjeff

I have installed many sets of those clear seat covers and if I were to ever buy a car with then on would instantly take them off,I can not stand sitting on them.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #11
Green&White

I agree they don't look very comfortable. However, I would like to complete the original look of my '59 Custom Fordor. Any idea where they can be sourced? Good condition used or new.
I have a piece left over, but it is brown and brittle and cracked all over. Certainly not presentable.
Thanks
Old 10-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #12
Alaska Jim

I have some on my 1951 merc., and I believe they are original to the car. they are starting to deteriorate , and have developed several splits. I also would be interested in finding out if some are available somewhere. mine are completely clear, with no type of pattern, or design, just completely smooth. these covers were on the car when I bought it in 1994, and the car showed only 68,000 miles and is the actual mileage. I have paper work all the way back to where it was originally sold in Washington state, and the original owners name and address. the Lady had already passed on when I acquired the car. I believe I am the 4 th owner of the car.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote