Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #21
Ken Arms

Default Re: chicken wire

yup, I just opened the box with the top kit and there is the fabric that goes between! oh well, not difficult to remove wire. Its all fun even if you do it twice. Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #22
Ken Arms

ya, I just noticed my top kit has fabric strips so I will have to remove the wire to install them, no big deal. Yes my car has the antenna wire and I will solder it on the wire. I don't think the car ever had a radio so I guess Ford must of put them in all cars. Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:59 PM   #23
Bubsyouruncle

Since we are dealing with support for visible roofing, what was the purpose for the original "chicken wire"? Engineering question.

It wasn't radio. That is a bogus purpose. It would only sorta,kinda, work as an antenna.

I suspect it was used to proved some sort of support for the roof between the wooden ribs.

IMHO.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:09 PM   #24
Reconnoiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
On my A coupe I put the headliner in before the top. It let light inside the car. I put a liner between the wire and wood bows to prevent rattling from wind. Also marked the existing tack hole locations so I didn't have to drive thru metal.
If you put the headliner in first, it is then impossible to access and install the 8 screws and nuts (2 at each corner) of the molding after installing the top...at least that is how it is with my 4 dr...
Reconnoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #25
Tony, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconnoiter View Post
If you put the headliner in first, it is then impossible to access and install the 8 screws and nuts (2 at each corner) of the molding after installing the top...at least that is how it is with my 4 dr...
I used something different. No nuts involved.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #26
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsyouruncle View Post
Since we are dealing with support for visible roofing, what was the purpose for the original "chicken wire"? Engineering question.

It wasn't radio. That is a bogus purpose. It would only sorta,kinda, work as an antenna.

I suspect it was used to proved some sort of support for the roof between the wooden ribs.

IMHO.
The application of antenna use was more a windfall. A plain cover of burlap or heavy muslin still doesn't hold form very well when pressure is applied between ribs from above. The wire roof netting will hold more downward pressure between ribs and it also does stabilize the ribs better. It basically just holds the form better and longer. It's not a very good substitute for steel but Ford was making an inexpensive car and it suited the purpose at the time.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #27
'36 5W

And from an engineering standpoint, a one piece roof was not possible at the time, as Ford did not have a forge or stamping equip. big enough to produce a one piece roof. Nor was he willing to gamble on the large "investment" for same in the middle of the depression.
By late '36, he could literally see the handwriting on the wall with G.M. nipping at their heels; he begrudgingly agreed, and the '37 models were produced with the solid, one piece roof.
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #28
rotorwrench

Budd Co was the only company that did have the larger presses in that time frame so Ford contracted them to make the lower production bodies that did have solid roofs like panel trucks of the era. I'm sure Ford looked at that capability when they finally tooled up for solid roof designs.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #29
cas3

my first car was a 36 chevy, at 15 i didnt know any better! but any way, the chev adds for the day bragged about the new "turret top" full roof for 36
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #30
blucar

H. Ford went to great lengths to defend the soft insert in the tops of his cars. H. Ford maintained that a solid steel top would damage the occupants ear drums when the doors were closed with the windows up..
Old 07-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #31
Portland/JohnR

Chicken wire question, is the wire only tacked around the edges or on the bows also? Thanks!
Portland/JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #32
Kahuna

Ken
If you look at the Model A forum here on the Barn, there is an excellent write up with pictures on the roof replacement.
I also like the idea of the Masonite deal
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote