Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
John Duden

Default Screwdriver

You know your into a hobby too deep when you take a screw driver apart to re build it!
I had this original screw driver that the handle turned on the staft. The wood right above the rivit broke. I took it apart and filed the end that was broken smooth. i then took an old hammer handle and turned it in the lathe so it would be the same size taper for the metal collar. i then center drilled the handel and glued the new plug in. i re drilled the shaft hole and put the blade in. I turned a nail down and Don Turley helped me peen the head over so it looked original. I then sanded all the pits out of the blade and painted the handle.
I probably could of found a better one pretty cheap but i did not want to see this one go to waste. The hole process probable took me 2 hours
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screwdriver.jpg (11.4 KB, 162 views)
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Screwdriver

Funny!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
rollingsculpture

great save ! you are really deep in the hobby now ! john i can appreciate the desire to be thoughtful in keeping even the small parts alive, Im sure your vehicles in your collection will be amazing when your 50!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
Ray in La Mesa

I hate to see things go to waste too, but I like to test my restoration talent, (what little I have), to see if I CAN save something. It;s broke so nothing is lost except a bit of time, and sometimes the item is good for another 10 years.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
Rex_A_Lott

Oh, my.
Well that looks exactly like the screwdriver that Henry Ford adjusted the very first Model carburetor with....the handle's been replaced twice, and the blade once, but its the same screwdriver.
Ought to be a good conversation piece.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
Brentwood Bob

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Good on you. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

To each his own. I would have bought a new screwdriver and went for a 2 hour drive in the model A.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

nice job john on the restoration of that screwdriver and i bet nobody could tell the difference even in fine point judging.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 07-22-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
Ted Duke

I found an OLD screwdriver that my Dad used to shake the grate in a wood stove. It was in the wood stove when I inherited it, with the wooden handle burned off. Think solid screwdriver with two slabs of wood sandwiching the metal. I HAD TO MAKE NEW HANDLES AND CARVE THEM LIKE THE OLD, Couldn't help myself! LOL
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #10
John Duden

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
To each his own. I would have bought a new screwdriver and went for a 2 hour drive in the model A.
Wayne
i would have too, but my truck is not done, and i don't like to see good original parts thrown out if they can be saved. I would have to say it would pass fine point judging. i observed the tool judging at french lick this year and repainted ones passed. The plug i made in not visible, you would have to take the rivit out and take the metal collar off to see the glue line
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #11
daveymc29

So my question is, "Were all the tools painted black?" I have what I thought was a Model A screw driver, with what appears to be a bit of brownish paint still on it. Just curious and I don't pretend to know much about the tools that came with the cars.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:09 AM   #12
jimalabam

Right On John, it is the little things that count. Restore and save what we can...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Duden View Post
i would have too, but my truck is not done, and i don't like to see good original parts thrown out if they can be saved. I would have to say it would pass fine point judging. i observed the tool judging at french lick this year and repainted ones passed. The plug i made in not visible, you would have to take the rivit out and take the metal collar off to see the glue line
John
And I commend you for what you did and it looks great. My point understood by you and misunderstood by others was that I grab every opportunity I get to ride In my antique cars. Time is precious. Hope the truck is soon finished.
Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 07-23-2014 at 07:59 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote