Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Chet/Ma.

Default LED in your tail lights

Who has install the 6 volt LED's in there tail lights? Who sells them? Thanks Chet/Ma.
Chet/Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: LED in your tail lights

If all you want to do is replace the incandescents, you can use a pair of xmas string LED lamps wired in series (they operate on ~3 volts a piece). Connect a bunch of these series pairs in parallel to get all the brightness you want. You have a choice of LED colors. Even make a blue dot taillight. 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
Terry,OH

I use 6V LED tail light bulbs. Look over this web site http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...57-x12-24V.htm
They are bright and give me the illumination I need, and use much less current so they are generator friendly. You do need 1157 base type light sockets (with the off set pin configuration) so see what bulb your using now and order red in color. I got mine from the web site and they were fast to ship.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
38 coupe

Here are a couple options:

6 volt LED taillight conversion for 1935 Ford:
There used to be a guy on Ebay who made an LED board conversion for 35s. If you can find them, I think they will work in the stock taillights; you will probably want to measure to make sure. If I were doing the restoration I would also order a pair of Bay15d empty bulb bases and solder the leads from the LED boards into the bases so I didn't have to modify the wiring on the car in any way.

6 volt LED 1157 taillight bulbs:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...R#1157-W12-24V
I think part number 1157-R19-6V LED is what I have in my 37 right now and it is much better than incandescent. These will also work in the 1935, but I think the board listed above will provide more light.

Note that stock prewar Fords have a bulb socket that does not accept an 1157 style base. To remedy this you file the higher, I think, tang off the side of the bulb. Then you just have to make sure you don't put the bulb in so the tail light circuit operates the brake lights, and vise-versa.

and since this is a long post already, if you are interested in upgrading your headlights:
6 volt halogen bulbs that fit the stock 1935 Ford reflector:
http://www.lbcarco.com/
search for halogen 6V
I think part number 170-957H is what you want.

New stock reflector for 1935 Ford:
http://store.bobdrake.com/19pas19pucom2.html

New stock headlight lens for 1935 Ford:
http://store.bobdrake.com/19pas19pic199.html
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Steves46

I have thought about trying a set on my 46 but the main concern I have is that since I am using blue-dot lenses, will the light illuminate good outside the blue dot?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves46 View Post
I have thought about trying a set on my 46 but the main concern I have is that since I am using blue-dot lenses, will the light illuminate good outside the blue dot?
you can go to Radio Shack and purchase the LED's in just about any color/voltage and since they are very small you can arrange them to illiminate the red area more than just the blue dot with just a little work
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Django

Before you switch to LEDs (yuck), try painting the inside of your taillight buckets white. It makes a HUGE difference.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
flatheadfan

Chet-

There is going to be a lot of disagreement with my opinion on LED bulbs but here goes....

I have used them on my '35 and in my opinion they are a waste of money. The disadvantages are many. First they are very directional. Meaning , unless you are looking directly at them you don't get the affect. It is like a rifle shooting a bullet. Unless, you are directly in line with the barrel there is no physical affect. Whereas, an incandescent bulb behaves as a shotgun. It gives a wide spray of light which is visible from several angles. Second, the LED for stop lights require a super-sensitive brake light switch to activate. I (and others) have found the "normal" hydraulic brake switch do not work reliably with a replacement LED bulb on early Ford applications. I have heard a "scientific" explanation for this but it is too early for me to recall (6:00 AM)!

Third, the bulb color is critical. If the light is going to go through a red lens (such as a stop light) the bulb color must harmonize with the lens meaning red lens require red LED. This is not a problem with the right tail light but doesn't work well on your left light which must serve as a tail light and a license plate illuminator. which requires a white light. Finally, as tail lights, the lights didn't seem to be any brighter than my regular bulbs. Again, this is my opinion with only one car I tested them on ('35 Ford).

The one good thing about LED is the power draw is virtually nil.

This is the LED bulb source I used: http://www.superbrightleds.com/other_bulbs.htm

If you are looking for a safety option, I would serious consider a "third light". This is a source I used on my Model A and my '50 pickup: http://www.jandlenterprise.com/products/products.htm

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Django

I'm with Tom.

Granted I am running 12 volts, but this is just the taillights with the white buckets.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
okiedokie

I have led in my 46 coupe and my 53 F100 and get comments from those who have followed me many times about their brightness. They are the United Pacific leds, I love em. I would never go back to old style bulbs, but I do like those driving behind me to see my brake lights.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
Lawson Cox

Painting the inside of the housings gloss white does just as well. You would be surprised how much it helps. Also, the brightness is seen from many angles, not just from straight behind like LED's
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #12
Brian

I've been running LED inserts [not bulbs] in my 35 Ford for a number of years and I love 'em! Comprises of 19 red LED's on each panel, with 5 white LED's behind one of them for the licence plate light. Incidently, I run mine behind clear glass lenses for that 'boyracer' look. I purchased them from eBay seller 'classiccargoodies'
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1933-...item45f7970f74
These are 12 volt though, I know you were after 6 volt. Try them maybe? Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote