Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2005, 04:23 PM   #1

Default brake drum to spindle assembly torque

I've rebuilt my front brakes on my 34 ford and was wondering what the correct torque is when tightening the nut to the brake drum? Do I tighten it and back it off a half a turn, quarter turn or a full turn?

Old 03-28-2005, 12:45 AM   #2

Default Re: brake drum to spindle assembly torque

I always tightened them, and then backed off just enough so they turn freely. 1/2 turn or less.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:31 AM   #3

Default Re: Wheel bearing to spindle assembly torque

Tighten till all play is eliminated, then adjust from that point.

For correct preload, use a screw driver blade to move the thrust washer behind the nut from side to side a little, it should be firm but not tight.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:08 AM   #4

Pete is 100% correct. It's better to be a little too loose than too tight. .....Jay

Old 03-28-2005, 02:07 PM   #5

I don't agree, it's not either/eyether... in fact a little tight is better than loose.

Loose bearings will fail quicker because of hammering forces, up, down & sideways also lack of lube.

A slightly tighter adjustment causes more friction/heat which will then provide more lube as the grease's viscosity is lowered, the rollers maintain full contact for heat transfer.

If you ever get to feel the preload on new pinion bearings you would swear it was WAY too tight!

Old 03-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #6

Steve, here is what my old 1936 Ford Service Manual says: "When reassembling or adjusting, the adjusting nut should be run up tight and then turned back approximately 1/4 turn and the cotter pin replaced." (How 'bout that?)

Old 03-29-2005, 04:16 AM   #7

Thanks for your input Brian. I agree 100% about pinion bearings. I've set up hundreds of differentials. Never had an outright bearing failure. They run in oil and have very little actual weight pushing down on them. Wheel bearings run in liquidy grease and have the weight of the vehicle pushing down on them. I didn't mean that they should be so loose that they moved from side to side. If I have to choose whether to tighten or loosen the spindle nut in order to get the cotter pin in, I go to the loose setting. Nothing further than 1/2 of the nut flat. That's what I meant by "better too loose than too tight". (This is in regard to tapered roller bearings, not ball bearings like on old Chevys.) Been a mechanic since the 50s, and I'm not too old to learn. But that's my feeling about wheel bearings. ....Jay

Old 03-29-2005, 09:09 AM   #8

Default Re: Wheel brng adjustment

Gotcha Jay. There's a lot of interpretation in the words 'tight' & 'Loose'! Thats why the thrust washer method I described is by far the best, I learnt it from a Mercedes Volkswagen Service garage I worked in in South Africa,1969.

In the end, Flathead wheel bearings are very forgiving & seem to last forever.

Brian NZ

Old 03-29-2005, 10:53 AM   #9

Well Brian, we do have something in common. I worked at a Volkswagen Dealership in Ohio in 1963. Never heard of your method for wheel bearing adjustment before, but I certainly will give it a try real soon. Just want to say thanks, to you, and all the other guys who write in to these forums. We all have so much to learn from each other. .....Jay

Old 03-29-2005, 08:55 PM   #10

It's always a pleasure Jay, especially when we encounter gentlemen like you!

Brian NZ