Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Re: Fuel Line Clean-out

A roll copper can be had for $10.00.If you must have steel check out brake line tubing.You can buy enough to do ten cars for $90.00

Old 03-23-2005, 04:59 PM   #2

Default Fuel Line Clean-out

My '53 Ford fuel tank is at the radiator shop, so I thought now' would be a good time to clean out the steel fuel line between the tank and the pump. I was thinking of running muriatic acid through it for a while to kill any rust, then neutralize with lots of water and baking soda... followed by lots of clean water and then compressed air. Perhaps run some light oil through it to prevent new rust. Has anyone had any experience with this method?

Old 03-23-2005, 05:48 PM   #3

Richard: With new steel line at around a buck-a-foot, do you really think all that's worth the effort? Just my thought. Good luck.

<ul>[*]BillB's Techno Site[/list]

Old 03-24-2005, 12:01 AM   #4

i would put new line in it.that line is 51 yrs old time to replace it. dont be foolish on this one. IMHO ken ct.

Old 03-24-2005, 02:03 AM   #5

my 36 is due for a new line this summer just be cause of age.Copper tubing is not that expensive, easier to handle.The outside of the line looks fine, I wonder about the inside.Have noticed that plastic tape wrapped on brake lines keeps them looking like new. a bit of grease on bleeder screws and wheel cylinder connections keep the salt off these points.Its easy to wrap new brake and gas lines with plastic tape be fore installing.Have had much repeat failure of new lines until I started tapeing them.A friends truck just blew a brake line at 40,000 miles. Better check yours.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:11 AM   #6

Copper tubing is NOT SAFE for fuel lines. I know that many guys use it, but it can become brittle and crack. I have seen this happen several times. Steel is much stronger and safer. .....Jay

Old 03-24-2005, 07:03 AM   #7

The original stuff--is it Bundy tubing?--is of a layered construction with heavy anti-rust covering in and out. I suspect strong chemical cleaning might destroy whatever remains of the original tin and copper, leaving you with bare, etched steel that will rust very rapidly. I just bought a proper steel line with fittings for an earlier Ford--think it was only about $15-20. Cleaning the original is more trouble than its worth, but if I were attempting that I would use only solvents like acetone or brake or carb cleaner, and I would probably attempt a mechanical cleanout, possibly by snaking a wire through it and then dragging through a small caliber rifle brush--which would then jam six feet in, of course. If you do try to clean, catch whatever comes out, and if you see lots of rust flakes, give up and replace.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:51 AM   #8

Bruce: The steel line I was referring to is terne coated. Never heard of Bundy tube, so did a Google. Interesting stuff at

http://www.bammot.org.uk/omnibus/obb149-6.asp I love it when I can just sit here and learn something. Thanks.

<ul>[*]BillB's Techno Site[/list]

Old 03-24-2005, 11:07 AM   #9

Neat site--also interesting is the mention of the special copper alloy they use for brake lines over there. I've always seen the ads in British old car mags for brake kits with copper tubing and wondered about them--regular copper tubing here would likely kill you real fast. I guess this is the alloy that makes this use possible.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:31 PM   #10

Bruce, yes it is Bundy tubing. It is also used for the wire and tube condenser coils on refrigerators. To add to your statement about buying the new tube for about $15, you also get the compression fittings that many people are having trouble finding also. Got mine from Joblot, however the kit is made by Dennis Carpenter, a well respected vendor. Couldn't be easier, IMHO.

Thanks

Floyd

Old 03-24-2005, 03:32 PM   #11

For what it's worth, I think the kit is made by Jerry Grayson and sold to Dennis Carpenter.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:40 PM   #12

Richard, I have used Carpenters tank to engine fuel line kit on several Fords,and I like the idea of having new,clean parts to replace the old rusty line. Sure there are many parts that you can refurbish yourself,but the cost of the new line kit, in my opinion, is well worth it if you intend to have the car dependable. T-Byrd

Old 03-24-2005, 08:41 PM   #13

I've read screeds of &quot;pommy&quot; magazines over the years. They seem to get off a bit over copper lines. I've always thought them a no no for brakes, infact here in New Zealand I doubt you'd get a warrant of fitness sticker for your car if you had copper brake lines. In the UK cars are notorious for rust out because of salt on the roads &amp; that means underside fittings too. You should see some of the crap they restore. You have to admire them for taking some of those &quot;rust buckets&quot; on . They also use something called cunifer piping which I think is steel with a copper coating on outside. You Southern boys would know that the only thing you should use copperline on, is ya whisky still!!

GB

Old 03-24-2005, 11:10 PM   #14

Of course copper is not suitable for brake lines but fuel lines a different matter.My oil furnace pump has been vibrating the copper line for 50 years ave, 1000 gallons per year.Refridgeration systems use copper.If a copper line cracks under a car it will dribble gas just like a steel line with 3 or 4 holes in it.Copper gets plenty of vibration in electric motors and transformers.Terne plate is a nice term for lead coating.Alumium wire will break from vibration stress.See a lot of wire breaks in al wire wound welders.If you worry about tubing rusting check your brake lines for road salt damage.Ive seen failures in 20,000 to 40,000 miles.Auto makers could use rust free brake hardware but it wont happen because it would cut their profit margin.

Old 03-25-2005, 12:00 AM   #15

hey coupe ive had a copper gas line on my 36 for probebly 10 yrs no problems and NO rust. as long as its clamped down good and dosen't vib. or move around its ok. IMHO. tank to carb.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:24 AM   #16

A pre-cut and pre-bent steel fuel line from Concours is $90! $140 if I want stainless steel! Wher'd you get yours for $15?

Old 03-25-2005, 06:13 AM   #17

use copper HOME DEPOT ken ct.

Old 03-25-2005, 06:40 AM   #18

I think mine was from C&amp;G or Sacramento Vintage--steel roll, plus two fittings, not prebent. This stuff bends easily, and duplicating the original won't be hard.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:35 AM   #19

36 coupe. I must fess up that my 48 cpe has copper fuel lines. I got it half restored and thats what it came with. I dont see a great problem though as it is protected inside the chasis rails and has the flexible hose fitting at the firewall - fuel pump end. I think there has been debate on copper for fuel lines on this site before.

GB

Old 03-28-2005, 07:58 AM   #20

Richard, I got mine from Joblot in New York. Most of the vendors carries the kit. However, the package is labelled &quot;Dennis Carpenter&quot;. Therefore you can go to the source and just call Denis Carpenter which is on your side of the country and get it from them. You get the proper 1/4&quot; copper flash plated steel Bundy tubing and the proper Ford nuts and compression sleeves all at one time and at one price. Mine was $15.95. Very easy deal and you get the right stuff.

Thanks

Floyd