Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #21
CarlG

Default Re: Fuel Filter

I went to extreme measures. 100% clean gas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gascol5.jpg (23.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Engine right side.JPG (135.6 KB, 52 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #22
Ernie Vitucci

Good Afternoon all...I might be really old school, but I use a magnet the size of the bottom of the glass bowl in my fuel filter. This way the filter works as it was designed to work and I can easily see what has come out of the tank and stuck to the magnet. When it gets ugly, I take the bowl off and clean it out and wipe off the magnet and put it back together and go to breakfast. I also have a second filter with a glass bowl in the line down by the carburetor. It is off of a 55 Thunderbird if I remember right. It has a magnet in it as well and rarely needs to be cleaned. The system works well and my 'B' carburetor on my 'A' works well and has not been off in several years. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-21-2019, 02:08 AM   #23
M2M

My 31 came fitted with one of these; see below. Are they any good or should I get rid of it?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:50 AM   #24
30 Closed Cab PU

If not having any issues with fuel starvation, running lean, etc., leave it in. Depending on physical size of it may be OK. Usually a filter like that is small and is for small engines and do not have sufficient flow.

If your 31 does not have one, install a fuel shutoff Pencil Filter. This filter installs into the top of the fuel shutoff and sticks up into the gas tank and keeps crud out if the entire fuel system including the shutoff. Rust particles/etc. can ruin a fuel shutoff causing it not to shutoff completely.

If desiring more filtering and having problems with the type of filter being used such as above you can use the sediment bowl micro filter if you have a glass sediment bowl, or use an automotive type filter designed for low pressure/high flow.

Personally if I was using the type pictured I would make sure I had a spare in the A. If it caused a problem and you were miles from home - what would you do? You really can not clean it. With it removed you would need a spare gas line, or a way to fill the gap in the gas line.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:16 AM   #25
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
If not having any issues with fuel starvation, running lean, etc., leave it in. Depending on physical size of it may be OK. Usually a filter like that is small and is for small engines and do not have sufficient flow.

If your 31 does not have one, install a fuel shutoff Pencil Filter. This filter installs into the top of the fuel shutoff and sticks up into the gas tank and keeps crud out if the entire fuel system including the shutoff. Rust particles/etc. can ruin a fuel shutoff causing it not to shutoff completely.

If desiring more filtering and having problems with the type of filter being used such as above you can use the sediment bowl micro filter if you have a glass sediment bowl, or use an automotive type filter designed for low pressure/high flow.

Personally if I was using the type pictured I would make sure I had a spare in the A. If it caused a problem and you were miles from home - what would you do? You really can not clean it. With it removed you would need a spare gas line, or a way to fill the gap in the gas line.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I will carry a spare rubber gas line to fill the gap in case there's a problem with this filter. It seems to have tightly woven brass inside so I hope that is unlikely to disrupt the flow rate of fuel. I will be able to see the build up of any crud as gas enters from the point end of it's cone shape and then passes through the weave in the center leaving crud visible on the outside.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote