Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
Ray P

Default identifying repro hood

I dont know much about repro hoods and I am trying to determine if I have bought one without realizing it. I recently acquired what I thought was a used original. After placing it on the car the top panels seem stiff and don"t conform to the firewall as well as the original. It seems to be made of thicker guage sheetmetal. It is also heavier. I have heard that the panels from a repro hood could not be mated to those from an original but that's not the case with this one. The panels easily interchange with the original and the fit is very precise. Is there an easy way to identify a repro hood? I have always heard that the repro panels are straight and not curved like the originals. The side panels on this one are curved at the back next to the firewall but the top does seem fairly straight.
Ray P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
Jim Huseby

Default Re: identifying repro hood

I can't say what the little identifying features would identify a repro, but the characteristic of Rootlieb hoods (having used dozens of them) is that they do fit wonderfully, every time, as long as the body and shell are aligned for a fit. I haven't seen many original hoods that have escaped denting, warping, flattening out, rusting, stiffening at the hinges, man-handling, etc. Any hood, orig or repro, is subject to damage, but the older ones have been in harms way longer.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

The rivet at the top hinge loop has a different shape and head diameter, and the rolled edge on the hood side is hollow without an insert wire on the original. Those are the two easiest ways. Also, for the more experienced folks, they will notice how the rear hemmed edge shape is not straight on the original hood top.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
BlueSunoco

Ray, can you post some up-close pictures I would like to know this question better too. Thanks
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote