Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
green30coupe

Default Repop Cowl band

The cowl band on my coupe isn't very good and I was thinking about ordering one of the ones being made in Ohio by Ahooga A & T Reproduction Parts. Does anybody have any experience with them or any advise? Their method of production on the cowl bands sounds good, but I haven't seen any of their products. If I'm going to use a repop part I would prefer one made in The U.S.A. (albeit way north of I-10, at least Ohio is in The U.S.A.)

Additionally, what kind of project is it to install a new cowl band? The objective is to improve the looks of my A.....not to teach my Rat Terrier bad language!

Ed
green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
RHD

Default Re: Repop Cowl band

All cowl bands I have ever seen have been excellent reproductions and fit really well. It makes restoring a beaten old original cowl band a thing of the past.
They are cheap as well.
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHD View Post
All cowl bands I have ever seen have been excellent reproductions and fit really well. It makes restoring a beaten old original cowl band a thing of the past.
They are cheap as well.
My experience counters yours.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
peters180a/170b

I never needed the use of a reproduction cowl band.There are still good to excellent cowl bands around to have restored. A reproduction band listed for $80.00 ,, one fully restored for show sells for $165.00 and LESS for a driver restored shape,,,There is a difference : When you look at a Model "A' to buy ,lets say a 1929 tudor sedan in a grain barn and a 1930/31 Sport coupe,,, some people would say,,,, the tudor sedan has a lot of REPRODUCTION parts on it from the 70's. So the price should be LESS ! The Sport coupe was put away with most of all its ORIGINAL parts. Even if the Tudor was in better shape then the Sport coupe people look for ORIGINAL PARTS. That is the difference ,, one day you decide to sell your car...KEEP THAT IN MIND.. people will pay a little more with original parts on the car. AND you would have LESS comments on how much NON Original parts are on the car...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
ericr

I don't mean to sound critical, but I looked at their website....what makes you think they manufacture the piece themselves?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Donvito

Additionally, what kind of project is it to install a new cowl band? The objective is to improve the looks of my A.....not to teach my Rat Terrier bad language!

Ed[/QUOTE]

Ed, I just had my car apart while welding repair patches to the lower cowl. The band was a little difficult to remove. There is a bolt attached to each end of the band. It goes through the cowl and comes out under the car. The bolts are at a steep angle and point downward. Mine were 1/4", with nuts that take a 7/16" wrench. I took the floorboards out for better access. First, raise the hood on one side and loosen the screw on the rear hood hinge retainer. Then raise the hood on the other side and do the same. You only need to back the screws out about 1/8". I think it's better to leave the retainer in place. Next, remove the interior kick panel trim. Next, remove the cowl lamps. It is very difficult to see the nuts that hold the band on under the car. There is not much room either. I had to use a shorty 7/16" wrench. You remove the nuts and the band should pop right off. I think I read that some models may have more bolts coming through the cowl. Mine did not. That's how it comes off.

I thought about buying a new one too. I was worried that the new one may not fit as well. My old one has a few dings in it, but looks fine on my car. I don't have a show car. I just put the old one back on.
Mike
Donvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
green30coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I don't mean to sound critical, but I looked at their website....what makes you think they manufacture the piece themselves?
They say they do. From their web site three quotes:

"We manufacture and are licensed to sell products with the "Ford" script"

"We use a bolt, stamp it in one of our dies. It forms the bolt for a perfect fit. Then our bolt is welded to the Cowl Band. After the bolt is welded, we hand fit and polish each band ourselves."

"OurProducts

are all manufactured in the U.S.A."

Additionally, correspondence with their president/owner states they make them. "Since we started making them. We have sold quite a lot of them. But, we mainly sell wholesale. So if you go to just about any of the dealers to buy one, chances are they are buying ours. There is a cowl band made overseas. It has a piece of all thread welded to a piece of cowl band scrap, then that scrap is welded to the inside of the cowl band."
green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
ericr

-and I wasn't trying to give you the third degree, Green30coupe....I confess I get uneasy at times about puffery from parts suppliers....."just like original" when it is not, etc. I know that over the years, an accurate cowl band has been an oft-desired item. If this company turns out a good product, we could all make some suggestions for their project. The lighting switch and the headlamp sockets top my list.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

The two that I have used were excellent. I got the first one from Snyders in 99 and the second one from Billy Hall (Billy and Wanda new and used parts) in 05. Neither of these cowl bands had anything welded to them but had the same connecting hardware as original.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
The two that I have used were excellent. I got the first one from Snyders in 99 and the second one from Billy Hall (Billy and Wanda new and used parts) in 05. Neither of these cowl bands had anything welded to them but had the same connecting hardware as original.
Hey Purdy,
I took the original ford cowl band off of my '30 roadster and put it away somewhere, as it had small area that should be made perfect if you wanted to use it and I didn't and don't know that repair work.
As my car is a driver, I've thot of ordering such band...but wondered how in the world such a flimsy/delicate piece of equipment could be shipped WITHOUT DAMAGE
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
peters180a/170b

shipped cowl bands and no problem. I used wood to frame out a box shape and thin nails for the corners and about 1 inch clearance from all four sides. wood like furring strips and then card board 2 sides. Used staples on card board to wood. I have done 3 of these and Doug Bruce who restores them sends them out all the time.Glue about a 1 foot piece of wood in the middle of the box too.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
shipped cowl bands and no problem. I used wood to frame out a box shape and thin nails for the corners and about 1 inch clearance from all four sides. wood like furring strips and then card board 2 sides. Used staples on card board to wood. I have done 3 of these and Doug Bruce who restores them sends them out all the time.Glue about a 1 foot piece of wood in the middle of the box too.
Hey Peter,
Thanks, very innovative! Hm, I'm wondering if others have good/bad/ugly experiences or just easy/good such as yours ?
And, the shipping fees on such a large contraption must be prohibitive,eh !
I'm gun shy of both shipping fees and damage situations, as I've had my fill of both.
Someday, hopeing locate one in driving distance
Old 04-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Purdy,
I took the original ford cowl band off of my '30 roadster and put it away somewhere, as it had small area that should be made perfect if you wanted to use it and I didn't and don't know that repair work.
As my car is a driver, I've thot of ordering such band...but wondered how in the world such a flimsy/delicate piece of equipment could be shipped WITHOUT DAMAGE
You bring up a good point!!! I ordered my first from Snyders. When Mr. UPS delivered the package It was in a rather large cardboard box. I noticed that the box felt TOO light. I told the guy to hang on while I checked the package. The box was empty, I called Snyders. The guy at Snyders wasn't very nice at all, he blamed UPS. I let the delivery guy talk to the guy from Snyders, he confirmed that the box didn't appear damaged and was taped closed when I opened it. I talked again to the guy at Snyders and he wasn't letting up a bit and said that it was UPS's problem and gave NO indication that they intended to make it good. I Told the Guy that I had been buying parts from them since the seventies , I had never had such a problem and I really didn't appreciate the way that he was acting. The call ended just like that with no indication that they had any intention of making it good. Needless to say, I was highly pissed and figured that I would never do business with them again. In less than a week I received another package from Snyders and it contained an undamaged cowl band that fit like a glove. I cooled off quickly and I still deal with Snyders. I haven't had to deal with the same guy again and hope that he is gone . I am always treated nice by them now and get quick service and good parts. I use to go to the Shade Tree model A swap meet in Augusta every year, That is where I met Billy Hall. Billy always brought an enclosed trailer filled with Good repro and used parts. I bought my second cowl band from him and I didn't have to worry about shipping or shipping damage.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
5window

I bought a repro from Mac's and had them bring it to a show-which they did nor free-got it with no damage. Unfortunately, since being sold,Mac's is not attending any shows this year-maybe another A parts supplier?
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
peters180a/170b

hardtimes , the box cost maybe $5.00 to build... 2 furring strips are under $4.00 if that. Cardboard i went to super market and the box of paper towels are shipped in is free. Some nails i had on hand with staples [things when you own a home always come in hand] and the U.S.Post office if i recall is under $20.00 ... But your in California and any state west of the Mississippi river gets charged double from here[shit ass N.Y.].A few guys from California fly in for Hershey ,,buy their goodies and rent a truck and drive back..That's how my second Deluxe Phaeton got out there.They bought a lot of goodies...l.o.l.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
SteveB31

Everything Ahooga sells, they make.

They just started making the cowl bands in the last year, and we will now carry them, as we have HAD to carry the Taiwan ones in the past, because that was all that was available for the last 20 years.

They are pretty nice, but that being said, for my own car, I will restore an original, because they are always better.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
Everything Ahooga sells, they make.

They just started making the cowl bands in the last year, and we will now carry them, as we have HAD to carry the Taiwan ones in the past, because that was all that was available for the last 20 years.

They are pretty nice, but that being said, for my own car, I will restore an original, because they are always better.
Hey Steve,
Well, shoot..how much for you to come restore my original..left coast, lost angeles