Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Alan O'Connell

Default 1935 gas tank sending unit removal

Is there an easy way to remove the sending unit on a 1935 with a rumble seat?
Alan O'Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
TagMan

Default Re: 1935 gas tank sending unit removal

I believe the '35 is the same as my '36 3W, at least as far as the sending unit is concerned. In the rear of the trunk floor, on the driver's side (left side), there should be a cover that's approximately 3" x 6" and secured with a single screw. Loosen the screw and remove the cover. The sending unit should be just below it. It can be removed with a bit of "finesse" and lifted clear of the tank & through the floor. Careful of gas fumes (don't be smoking !
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
drkbp

To add just a little to what TagMan provided, I "hold" the top of the rumble seat forward in a more vertical position with a little bungee cord hooked between the rumble handle and rear cowl of my '35 cabriolet. That gives enough room to reach down behind the rumble lid and rear opening of the body and get to the cover TagMan describes above.

I think there are five or six screws that hold that hydrostatic gauge in the top of the tank and you can get at them with that cover off. You have to disconnect the air line and then can remove the gauge from the tank. It will lift straight up.

There is not much to go wrong with those sending units. I have changed the air line a time or two in the last 40+ years but that is about it.

Last edited by drkbp; 05-19-2017 at 10:11 PM.
drkbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:43 PM   #4
Alan O'Connell

That is how I thought the sending unit might have to be removed. When the car is idle for a few weeks, it is very difficult to start. It seems like the gas drains back into the gas tank and the fuel pump has a hard time getting it back up to the carburetor. I have a 36 club cabriolet and it will start with no problem no matter how long it sits. I have swapped fuel pumps and the 36 still starts right up with the 35 fuel pump on it and the 35 will not start with the 36 fuel pump on it. I have also swapped the carburetors and the result is still the same. The fuel line is new. Once the 35 does start, it will start right up again after I shut it off but will not start when sitting a week or so. The only thing left that I haven't replaced is the sending unit.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
carguybill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O'Connell View Post
That is how I thought the sending unit might have to be removed. When the car is idle for a few weeks, it is very difficult to start. It seems like the gas drains back into the gas tank and the fuel pump has a hard time getting it back up to the carburetor. . . .
I had exactly the same problem with my '34 Cabriolet until I replaced the flex fuel line with one from Robert Shewman in Kimberton, PA (see ad in V8 Times) which is supplied with a built-in check valve to prevent the fuel from draining back out of the bowl in the carb.

Worked for me, your mileage may vary.
Bill

Last edited by carguybill; 05-20-2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: omission
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Alan O'Connell

thanks, I'll check out the add. It's worth a try. What do you mean by my mileage may vary?
Alan
Old 05-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O'Connell View Post
What do you mean by my mileage may vary?
Alan
That is sorta like a joke, he is saying it worked for him and he liked it, but he is not saying it will work in every situation.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #8
Alan O'Connell

Lol!