Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2024, 08:41 PM   #1
jeepguy1948

Default V8 Rear Axle Width

It appears to me that the V8 rear axle is 1” wider than the Model A axle
Model A 52.5”, V8 53,5” measured from the end of the housing at the flange where the backing plates attach.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:32 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: V8 Rear Axle Width

Which v8 rear? No numbers here, but the 35 to 40 is 3/4" wider (per side) than the early
v8, and 42 to 48 is wider yet. If you're building a hotrod, 35 to 40 is the most commonly used to give a little more clearance for bigger rear tires. Tell us what the project is for a better answer
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:43 PM   #3
Ray in La Mesa

'42-'48 is 4" wider (2"per side). I have a 42-48 Columbia in my '28 A roadster p/u & the sides of the tires are just even with the fender bead.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:49 PM   #4
mercman from oz

Lengths of V8 Rear Axles
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:55 PM   #5
cas3

Thanks Ray and Mercman for some facts!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:56 AM   #6
jeepguy1948

I do not know what year the axle is yet, I do not have it in my possession yet and I’m not going to buy it if it won’t work. The axle is 2 hours away from me and I’m not going to make the trip if the axle won’t work either. The only piece of information that I have been able to get is that it is 53 1/2” from the ends of the housing flanges. I measured my Model A axle and it is 52 1/2” for the same measurement. I have no idea what was being measured to get a number such as “32.18 Long” how’s that measured? I can get the seller to give me a measurement from axle tip to axle tip if that will help. I gave the dimensions of Model A axle (52 1/2”) the possible V8 purchase (53 1/2”) but nobody has attempted to work with that information at all. Cassman, you start right off asking which axle? I don’t know, that’s a part of my question, I’m not trying to make this a trick question, I have to work with what info I have. What am I trying to do? I am trying to put in an axle in that is stouter than a Model A axle. There are possibilities using newer axles but I’m trying to keep the Banjo look. Does anybody know if it is practical to narrow one of these? I would think that shortening the housing would be fairly easy it would be sourcing the axles themselves that would be a challenge.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:15 AM   #7
Seth Swoboda

Why don't you tell us what year V8 car you are working on? Then you will know what rearend you need to find. It seems pretty simple to me.

I think you might be over estimating the power you're going to get from your V8 engine project. Unless you are putting a blower on it?

Piecing together your other posts, it seems perhaps this project is a combination of everything to build a hot rod? I could be wrong.

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 04-05-2024 at 11:20 AM.
Seth Swoboda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:27 AM   #8
rich b

The number you need the seller to provide is:

"wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface"

Armed with that number, you can determine how it will fit your project.

If you had a picture to post it would help ID the axle too. Easy to tell if it is '32-'34,

'35-'36, '37-'40, '41, '42-'48, or '42-'47 pick-up from the visual details.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:37 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

32-34 is the same width as A, the early V8 used the same rear axles as A, later in 32 the banjo was changed to be similar to later banjo’s but is a little more narrow, later gears need some modifications to fit in the late 32-34 banjo
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:52 AM   #10
jeepguy1948

I am not working on a V8 car I’m working on a Model A, I thought that was apparent by my repeated reference to a Model A axle, and saying that I wanted a stouter axle. I did not actually say that however. So This Is What I Am Trying To Do: I want to install an axle in my 1928 Model A RPU that is stronger than the stock model A axle. There are “modern” axles out there that fit but I would like to keep the banjo look. I know that I would have to deal with spring mount etc. All I’m trying to do is see if it will work width wise. Why does it matter? Because I have fenders and wide tires and clearance is an issue. I’m using Lincoln brakes which add 1 1/2” per side over the stock Model A axle. Does that explain my question about the possibility of narrowing a V8 axle. I am not trying to keep any secrets I am providing all the information, I am sharing everything that I know at this time.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:58 AM   #11
jeepguy1948

Thank you Rich, thank you Kurt. The axle does not currently have hubs on it is why I can’t determine that face to face measurement. The picture in the Craig’s List ad is terrible so no info there. The seller is a nice old guy and I’m sure will try and help if I know what to ask. He has had it for so long he does not remember what it is. I did not realize that this was such a difficult question to answer, in my ignorance it did not occur to me that the V8 axles are not all the same length.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:07 PM   #12
jeepguy1948

I have provided the only measurement that I currently have, the flange to flange measurement. I would assume that I could get a width of the banjo measurement and an axle tip to axle tip measurement. I think that the bottom line is that in stock form a V8 axle will not work for me because I do not have room for any addition width than what I have now. It was wishful thinking on my part.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:59 PM   #13
jeepguy1948

I don’t know if I should ask this question here or start a new thread. If I were to narrow a V8 axle housing myself could somebody shorten the axles? Or could I buy shorter axles? Thanks Guys
Old 04-05-2024, 01:06 PM   #14
jeepguy1948

Merc an, the measurements you have provided make no sense to me. They seem to narrow to be the housing itself but they are too long to be the actual axle shaft.

I have contacted the seller and he is going to get for me a measurement of the width of the banjo and the axle tip to axle tip. He does not have the hubs so there is know way to get a measurement using them.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:43 PM   #15
Bored&Stroked

One thing to note - if it doesn't have rear hubs on it, then it is highly possible that the bearing surfaces for the rear hubs are rusted. While they can be machined and sleeved, this adds cost to the overall project. Some pictures of what he has can sure help. Also, keep in mind that a Model A mounted the rear spring over the axle - that is not done on any V8 axle, so either you'll modify the frame to move the rear cross-member back or you'll modify the rear end and spring mounts, etc.. So, there is more to know that just the width.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 04:08 PM   #16
Seth Swoboda

Is the OP putting a Model A body on a '32 frame? I've seen that done a few times. I'll assume the OP is using the Model A Frame.

It might be beneficial to ask in the Model A forum what rearend those guys use when installing a flathead V8 engine in a Model A chassis. Or maybe if you ask that question over there they'll send a mob after you?
Seth Swoboda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:23 PM   #17
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy1948 View Post
I don’t know if I should ask this question here or start a new thread. If I were to narrow a V8 axle housing myself could somebody shorten the axles? Or could I buy shorter axles? Thanks Guys
While you could probably find a machinist that could shorten the stock tapered axles; it might not be so easy in this day and age.

You may be better off to switch to removable axles like Hot Rod Works does.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:44 PM   #18
jeepguy1948

Thanks to all for the assistance
Old 04-05-2024, 08:08 PM   #19
30Murray

Hot Rod Works technical info page has the overaĺl widths of all the banjo axles.
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote