Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #21
tubman

Default Re: Need simplified OD wiring circuit

I think I read somewhere that Borg-Warner eliminated the mechanical lock-out after the 1950 model year as they considered it redundant.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #22
rotorwrench

They eliminated the shift rail lock out switch. The switch was controlled by the lock out rail mechanism when shifting the cable to lock out or when shifting into reverse gear. The rain switch as it was called, shut off the power to the solenoid function so that it wouldn't be on all the time after the governor kicked the power in. That big solenoid didn't go into holding coil mode until it was shifted all the way into overdrive. The power usage in the on mode is considerable but less so when it shifts all the way in to the full OD mode. I'm surprised the deleted it really. The electrical system would have been taxed less for sure.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-20-2018 at 07:05 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #23
Hyvolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
I'm now convinced the Ford circuit must be implemented.....thanks guys.....
I need a source for a modern relay & finally can the kick down feature be eliminated ?
I certainly wish to give my customer what he wants and it's good from my perspective to be able to articulate arguments against his point of view.
Many thanks,
Charlie ny
I would not eliminate the kickdown switch. If they are mechanical at all, it is really a simple system. I can cruise on the hiway around 65 to 70 wth the flathead spinning on my car 23 to 25 hundred if my memory is correct( flat ground). When speed or load dictates downshift, light pushbutton and I'm right in direct. All you have to do to shift up is get off the trottle and your back. I love it.

I'll gather up my parts lists this weekend and work on a sketch.
Hyvolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #24
Hyvolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
They eliminated the shift rail lock out switch. The switch was controlled by the lock out rail mechanism when shifting the cable to lock out or when shifting into reverse gear. The rain switch as it was called, shut off the power to the solenoid function so that it wouldn't be on all the time after the governor kicked the power in. That big solenoid didn't go into holding coil mode until it was shifted all the way into overdrive. The power usage in the on mode is considerable but less so when it shifts all the way in to the full OD mode. I'm surprised the deleted it really. The electrical system would have been taxed less for sure.
If the governor was still in the wiring system, being under the required mph, the solenoid would not electricaly be able to be energized. In that sense, the additional switch on the rail is redundant. I removed my rail switch for clearance reasons, but the governor wired in the system protects me.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:51 PM   #25
leon bee

Keep it coming, guys. I've got most all of my OD stuff for my car, but haven't dealt with it yet. Need to wait till I get the car all legal.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:54 PM   #26
Hyvolt

This is a rough drawing, i needed a break from Thanksgiving! I use a nkk momentary push button. They make many variations, but it must be a double pole double throw switch for this to work correctly. I buy my switches from Digikey. Look up there nkk series SCB.

My switch part number scb25p15a4ca.

Relay single pole automotive style. Available at any parts store.
Any generic indicator for the light.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IMG_20181123_0001.pdf (272.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-24-2018, 10:50 AM   #27
Hyvolt

I have to retake my pictures of my switch, i guess they are too large an image to load. I made a small panel that mounted at the lower edge of the dash to mount everything in.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:11 AM   #28
rotorwrench

Ford did away with the rail switch due to their supposition that most folks would leave the transmission in overdrive most of the time. The rail switch only works when you lock the system out. I come from flat country but we used to go up to the high country in Colorado a lot so we locked it out going over mountain passes and such. This is where the rail switch decreases the amperage draw from the operating system. The rail switch doesn't do anything if it's in overdrive mode except add a safety device when in reverse. We also locked out the OD when pulling a trailer which we didn't do often but often enough. The Long Long Trailer movie always comes to mind.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-24-2018 at 11:17 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote