Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #21
1930-fordor

Default Re: new grill screen design patent pending

Good work, don't give any attention to the nay sayers on here. There are so many Henry Ford quotes that i could post here on these replies. Your idea may not be the first or the best, but you have forward momentum, in getting something done and out there.
Never quite trying. the next idea may be the big one.
1930-fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #22
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Ryan, Post #7: "Guys. Please don't use my forum if you can't do so without manners."
--------------------------------------------------
Thank you Ryan for posting that reminder. I sometimes think it should be said more often.
Ryan would not have to remind people to be civil if he got rid of the stupid star rating but like he said....it's his website. IMO...it's ill manners right out front to have it and to use it.

I'm out of here, since so many stay incognito by using a Star rating. Internet does make people into hiders...........not my kind of fellow to be associated with in any way.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #23
wrndln

I don't see any bad manners in this string, but maybe Ryan deleted one or two of them.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #24
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I don't see any bad manners in this string, but maybe Ryan deleted one or two of them.
Rusty Nelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C. View Post
IMO your grill guard idea would work to a much better degree on the 28/29 cars rather than the grill guards the vendors sell. The grill guard the vendor sells rubs up against the headlight bar. I took my vendor supplied guard off and threw it up in the attic for the next swap meet. I do like your idea best.

He took out about 8 comments when he put that. Thank you duke and 1930 fordor and glenn. Glenn I Have thought about doing one for the 28-29. I have a 30 so it was more about making my own than selling them but then I had extra. I have done a craigslist search for a cheap poor condition 28-29 shell so I can get the measurements but no luck yet.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:26 PM   #25
Licensed to kill

96454F17-FF78-489A-9670-3F6516C15B4B.jpg This is the one I made out of SS wire mesh. I like the expanded metal also (seen a few done that way) but I would have oriented the diamonds vertically rather than horizontally but that's just my taste. Seen them with smaller expanded also painted black. Looked good. Thanks for sharing.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #26
updraught

I've used a light square wire about (1 cm square) sprayed gloss black to make battered fins look less obvious.

You might want to do a fair bit of temperature testing to make sure the air flows OK. If it is too much hassle for the air to get thru, it will simply go around the radiator.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #27
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Ryan would not have to remind people to be civil if he got rid of the stupid star rating but like he said....it's his website. IMO...it's ill manners right out front to have it and to use it.

I'm out of here, since so many stay incognito by using a Star rating. Internet does make people into hiders...........not my kind of fellow to be associated with in any way.
Bye, bye ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:28 PM   #28
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
I've used a light square wire about (1 cm square) sprayed gloss black to make battered fins look less obvious.

You might want to do a fair bit of temperature testing to make sure the air flows OK. If it is too much hassle for the air to get thru, it will simply go around the radiator.

my car has maintained the same temps with the shroud as it does without. air pull seems the same as it was. with the expanded sheet its 75% open and the radiator fins and tubes are less than that. It is placing strings of metal infront of fin openings but would be less restrictive to air than the radiator. but as I see it and I could be wrong. If you had a 2 inch pipe and you put a 1/2 reducer on the end of the pipe it wouldn't matter if you had a 1 inch reduction in between the 2 and the 1/2.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #29
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
my car has maintained the same temps with the shroud as it does without. air pull seems the same as it was. with the expanded sheet its 75% open and the radiator fins and tubes are less than that. It is placing strings of metal infront of fin openings but would be less restrictive to air than the radiator. but as I see it and I could be wrong. If you had a 2 inch pipe and you put a 1/2 reducer on the end of the pipe it wouldn't matter if you had a 1 inch reduction in between the 2 and the 1/2.
Any barrier placed in front of the radiator will ultimately restrict air flow and cause an increase in temperature. What device did you use to measure the temperature? Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-13-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:28 AM   #30
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Attachment 297497 This is the one I made out of SS wire mesh. I like the expanded metal also (seen a few done that way) but I would have oriented the diamonds vertically rather than horizontally but that's just my taste. Seen them with smaller expanded also painted black. Looked good. Thanks for sharing.

Cute bumper guard too.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:38 AM   #31
Tom Wesenberg

I also like the guard behind the shell, but I'd paint mine semi-gloss black.

I've never priced stainless expanded steel, but plain expanded steel isn't cheap the last time I checked.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:50 AM   #32
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Guys. Please don't use my forum if you can't do so with manners.
Sorry, I think this is the intended message.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:56 AM   #33
mike657894

Stainless is 3x the price of mild steel at the place Im getting it from. If you were to paint one I would go with aluminum. Its 1/2 the cost of stainless. And aluminum takes and holds paint well. Stainless is hard to paint or I have heard it needs multiple primers. But they have some mild steel expanded flattened sheet as well. you are the second person to mention a black screen. when I reorder I will get some steel and aluminum and paint some up. See how they turn out.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:12 AM   #34
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I also like the guard behind the shell, but I'd paint mine semi-gloss black.

I've never priced stainless expanded steel, but plain expanded steel isn't cheap the last time I checked.
I buy alot of metals from www.metalsdepot.com and seem to be the best price around. I've toyed with the expanded mesh idea but I feel the rock guard that sticks off the front does a better job of protecting the radiator. I do agree this hides hides a beat up radiator very nicely and I may do something similar until I get a new radiator.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:17 AM   #35
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
I buy alot of metals from www.metalsdepot.com and seem to be the best price around. I've toyed with the expanded mesh idea but I feel the rock guard that sticks off the front does a better job of protecting the radiator. I do agree this hides hides a beat up radiator very nicely and I may do something similar until I get a new radiator.
the 129.99 stone guard will offer more protection because it is farther away from the rad and need to be smashed further back to cause damage.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:22 AM   #36
mike657894

just checked on metals depot. they dont have flattened ex sheet in 18 ga. but they expanded raised 18 ga 160$ for a 4x4 piece thats way more than I paid. that would be 80$ in material per screen before shipping.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #37
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Cute bumper guard too.
Thanks. That's my youngest grandson
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #38
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
I didnt like the look of my radiator it has some bent fins and I think the flat black looks less than appealing. I dont like the appearance of the currently available grill screen. So I set out to make my own grill screen from an idea i had while working on my car. Now Im not sure if I should make more. And what sales price? And I have nothing against you using this idea for your own car for free. But I would ask that you dont sell them for profit as it is my idea. I am asking who would want one now or down the road? what you think I should charge? And if that will line up with what it costs for me to make them. In order to get enough material to make one I needed to purchase enough for a few. I have one for sale on ebay. they are made out of 304 stainless. aluminum is available for about half the material cost but I wanted stainless on my car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222337588104...84.m1586.l2649
Kinda like old Bill was going to patent white paint to paint whitewalls on Blackwell tires because he thought of it first. it was also his idea. Hahaha. Wayne
Old 02-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #39
mike657894

I got some different materials aluminum and bare steel for half the price and in different gauges. When I get the time I will paint some and get those listed. I would like to make one for the 28-29. if you would like one for your 28-29 contact me with with the size of the opening on the grill shell. it looks like a 18"x18" may work. may need 18x18.5 width.

Large vertical diamond bare steel $40
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222401365327...84.m1586.l2649

flimsy aluminum small vertical diamond $36
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222401393080...84.m1586.l2649

very sturdy 18ga bare steel small vertical diamond $40
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222401371672...84.m1586.l2649

heavy duty stainless 13ga small vertical diamond $75
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222401400429...84.m1586.l2649

18ga stainless small horizontal diamond $75
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222392584303...84.m1586.l2649
Old 02-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #40
George Miller

I did that same thing on my roadster a few years back. So we are probably not alone.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote