Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2023, 10:58 PM   #1
oldspert

Default bicycle turn signals

Got the idea from another post about using bicycle turn signals for a Model A. Bought a set off of Amazon that are LED re-chargable, remote control. Adapted them to my bumpers with zip ties and clamped the controller to the column. Very bright, and visible from at least 100 ft.
Next project will be seat belts so my wife will ride with me. She wouldn't do it without some safety belts.
oldspert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 05:24 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: bicycle turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspert View Post
Got the idea from another post about using bicycle turn signals for a Model A. Bought a set off of Amazon that are LED re-chargable, remote control. Adapted them to my bumpers with zip ties and clamped the controller to the column. Very bright, and visible from at least 100 ft.
Next project will be seat belts so my wife will ride with me. She wouldn't do it without some safety belts.
This is a very controversial topic due the the actual effectiveness. Plenty of content here regarding this. Please post how you go about this modification.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #3
oldspert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
This is a very controversial topic due the the actual effectiveness. Plenty of content here regarding this. Please post how you go about this modification.
According to another poster here, he added a stiffener made of angle iron to the riser behind the seat bottom to attach the lap belts to. How effective it will be is anyones guess, but any item that will help prevent being ejected in case of a bad accident, would help.
Since my Model A has many aftermarket items, I will never have it judged to Model A standards, so seat belts and turn signals are a must in my opinion.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:21 PM   #4
henry's 31

Hi oldspert:

Can you post a picture of the turn signals?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2023, 10:29 PM   #5
Ordsgt

Check with your state laws some require that all lights be DOT approved
Ordsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 10:51 PM   #6
oldspert

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry's 31 View Post
Hi oldspert:

Can you post a picture of the turn signals?

Thanks
will do tomorrow
Old 09-05-2023, 11:00 PM   #7
lrf

Go to Amazon.com and search "carrybright bicycle signals". They're still about $60 bucks. They're LED and BRIGHT!
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 05:03 AM   #8
ndnchf

There are many different types of wireless bicycle turn signals. This is a $15 unit I put into my pickup's rear window. It could also be mounted rear window of a car.

https://youtu.be/hGvcT9tlc5E?si=9JwdISJ1O4CqXt9Z
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 05:28 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
According to another poster here, he added a stiffener made of angle iron to the riser behind the seat bottom to attach the lap belts to. How effective it will be is anyones guess, but any item that will help prevent being ejected in case of a bad accident, would help.
Since my Model A has many aftermarket items, I will never have it judged to Model A standards, so seat belts and turn signals are a must in my opinion.

Therein lies the issue IMHO. There have been hobbyists that have installed safety belts in their Model-A thinking they were safe only to find themselves ejected during an accident. One or two such occurrences happened in your state while on a club tour which resulted in fatalities. It has happened elsewhere also.

The problem with retrofitting a safety system into a Model-A is the sheetmetal infrastructure is not strong enough to support the G-forces created by a crash impact. I do agree that a Model-A body can likely be braced enough to support a safety restraint system however these modifications need to be done when the car is apart and during the restoration process, -not afterwards. As I stated earlier, this can be a controversial topic so I have said enough about the subject.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 09:34 AM   #10
oldspert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
T these modifications need to be done when the car is apart and during the restoration process, -not afterwards.
Brent, I fully respect your opinion on this subject; however, if a Model A is involved in a crash severe enough to rip safety equipment from the sheet metal bracing, nothing is going to survive that crash. My car was already "restored" when I bought it so any safety items added will surely help with perceived safety.
I am a retired engineer and know the sheet metal is very unlikely to retain safety belts in a violent crash.
Old 09-06-2023, 02:14 PM   #11
MilwaukeeMike

Added seatbelts to a 31 pickup. A good piece of angle iron under the cab gives them something more solid to bolt through. All they will really do is keep you inside the car. Falling out during an accident is not desirable.
MilwaukeeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 03:04 PM   #12
David in San Antonio

Back to the rust question: I have no practical experience on this so I tend to listen to people who do. There is a YouTube video of a more-or-less scientific test comparing several products.
https://youtu.be/Ag46YUovPUc?si=0SYq32I0B3NITa22
Actually, there are a bunch of tests out on YouTube, in case you want many other opinions.
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 03:06 PM   #13
wuga

Quote:
That was probably me. I took a piece of 2x2 1/4" angle iron, wider then the frame. I bolted it to the frame and also at 8 points across the floor. I believe it will work in most cases, anything worse, I'm probably dead anyway. Years ago the government of Ontario mandated that there must be a seat belt at every seating location, so people started installing seat belts without any regards to engineering. They are called lap belts for a reason. One person installed belts across their mid thigh and snapped both legs when in an accident. Others bolted them in the correct location, but running a bolt through the floor pan and using a couple of washers doesn't cut it. Those washers act just like can openers. On my Tudor, I used an anchoring device from Julianno's. The shape prevents the floor from being cut, maybe dimpled unless your floor is so rotten, it has no strength at all. I also have working signals on all my cars even though they were not there originally. Speaking of which, my pet peeve. Non cancelling after market signal units. I am just as guilty, you turn a corner and forget to shut them off. Really confusing to the guy following you and dangerous too. Chev's of the 40s were offering a self cancelling unit but they can no longer source them. anyone else come up with any thing in the self cancelling world?
Warren

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat belt.jpg (21.9 KB, 13 views)
wuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 04:32 PM   #14
oldspert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrf View Post
Go to Amazon.com and search "carrybright bicycle signals". They're still about $60 bucks. They're LED and BRIGHT!
That is what I added to my Model A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front signal.jpg (52.4 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by oldspert; 09-06-2023 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:49 PM   #15
mcgarrett

Nice, clean look and I'm sure they will do the job well. I've seen them on bicycles and they really get your attention from a good distance.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 05:06 PM   #16
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
Nice, clean look and I'm sure they will do the job well. I've seen them on bicycles and they really get your attention from a good distance.
That looks very nice. I suppose you could also mount them on the headlight bar next to each of the headlights so they would be up higher.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 10:18 PM   #17
henry's 31

Hi Oldspert:

Thanks for the photo. Seems like it works nicely.
Old 09-07-2023, 06:23 PM   #18
Tinbasher

If you do some research on installing seat belts in race cars you will see the proper proceedure to mount the belts. The key is a properly sized reinforcement plate under the subrail or under the frame.
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote