Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Ford56

Default An oil dipstick dilemma

So, today, I just received my new to me '56 Victoria. All well and good, and pretty much as I expected it would be. However, when I checked the oil, there wasn't any on the dipstick. Now the previous owner told me he just had it changed, and it was full. The dipstick is a very shiny chrome one, one I've never seen before. I looked under the car and didn't see evidence of a leak; however, there is a small amount of oil on the frame cross member. Nothing on the valve covers, oil pan seals, rear of engine where the transmission join together. The bottom of the car looks pretty clean. I added a quart, still didn't show any oil, I added a second quart, still no joy. I then added a THIRD quart, and still no joy. I didn't have any more to add at that point, and that is where I am now. So, the question is, what is going on? Is the oil so new & clean that it doesn't show on this shiny chrome stick?? Have I now over filled the engine by 3 quarts. I'm thinking I'll just take it to a nearby shop, have them drain what amount is in there, and fill w/5 quarts, so I know what I've got. Plus, I can then check that shiny dipstick and know there are 5 quarts.

What does the all wise and knowing Ford Barn have to say??

Ford56 is offline   Reply With Quote