Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #1
TJMack

Default Check your fan blades

I finished putting in a new pitman arm and drag link and tie rod parts so I wanted to try it out, naturally. Everything went fine for about 10 miles or so. Then BANG!! Something broke and the car started to shake. I was going about 45 MPH.

Thinking the worst, I pulled over and got out to see what had broken in my newly completed job. I left the engine running and it idled OK. I looked things over as best I could at the side of a busy road and could find nothing.

I got back in and started down the road, and the shaking got worse as I sped up. I limped it slowly home and shut it off. Upon opening the hood I found that one of the fan blades was missing.

I must be blessed. The blade didn't go through the hood, the radiator, or anything else. It lay in the pan under the radiator hose. If it had gone in any other direction I would have had a mess on my hands.

Isn't it a bitch how things entirely unrelated to a job your working on can happen at just the right time to make you suspect of what you've done??

The moral of the story is CHECK YOUR FAN BLADES. One of them may be ready to let loose and cost you a bunch of money. Don't plan on being as luck as I was.
TJMack is offline   Reply With Quote