Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
mjm1972

Default Head Studs

Would anyone hear be able to tell me what the torque is on installing new Head Studs into a 1930 Ford Model A. Also would putting never seize be good idea or a lock-tight type product on the Bolt thread into the engine.

I know that the Bolts are 55lbs and there is a series to torquing them just need to find that thread again

One last thing.. I got the new Studs and Bolts (Head Studs & Bolts) from Snyder, It came with 3 different lengths of Studs.. 2 long ones for the water Pump, 11 Short ones and the one in question is the 2nd longer one... where on the head does that go? I've been told its for the ignition clamp but I have looked on line for engines that have it and I did not see any..

Thanks for any advice and help
mjm1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Head Studs

FWIW:

1. I first clean all of the 85 year old dirt, sand, rust, hardened grease, and Supreme Court's "Applesauce" out of the block's head bolt threads with a tap.

2. Like you did, never a bad idea to invest in buying new bolts to replace questionable, possibly already stretched and overstressed existing head bolts and overstressed "applesauce" coated head nuts.

3. With a Q-tip, apply Permatex Anti-Seize at least twice in block bolt threads and on cleaned oil-free threads on head bolts.

4. Screw in head bolts only finger tight and remove excess anti-seize from surface of block around bolts.

5. Longer ignition bolt is #8 as seen in a diagram in Bratton's catalog, or the second center head bolt from the rear, (or the fourth center head bolt from the front), for attaching the ignition armored cable's clamp.

6. And because of almost constant 95% humidity year round, I also put Anti-Seize inside head bolt nuts and on upper threads of head bolts, contrary to everything ever written ...... if you have an enemy, omit anti-seize on both ends of head bolts and sell your car to him.

7. Get the new silicone gasket and contrary to installation directions, provide non-hardening Permatex No. 2 to both sides of head gasket ...... non-hardening Permatex allows head gasket to not only seal but is a lubricant which allows gasket to seat while being compressed.

8. Lastly, even with greasy Anti-Seize on bolts and nuts, torque nuts on either original heads or Police Heads to 55 foot-pounds slowly in increments of about 15 foot-pounds in the sequence indicated in Bratton's catalog.

9. Too long a story to relate what was witnessed on hundreds of military engines, what was tried and what was recommended often by other than engine manufacturers, but all of what later caused multiple problems.

10. Model A Forums, vintage vehicle Forums, and military Forums are totally loaded with thousands and thousands of disaster stories and problems of leaking heads, leaking head gaskets, leaking studs, broken head bolts, stripped threads, etc. etc.

Just one opinion that works for me.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-30-2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
mjm1972

Default Re: Head Studs

H. L. Chauvin,

Thank you, that was good Information.
mjm1972 is offline   Reply With Quote