Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2014, 04:55 AM   #1
Freoway

Default No spark

Hi folks. Just joined. Bought a '36 Roadster V8 RHD. Nice original beast. It had a long trip from the country in the eastern states of Victoria to Western Australia. It was started several times along the journey from truck to train, etc. The very last time, when it was being loaded on to a trailer for the final trip to my house, it wouldn't start. The battery was flattened, so they obviously tried for a while. They may or may not have left the switch in the on position. When I went to try starting it, there's no spark. It has the original dizzie and coil. There's power to the coil. When I crank the engine, there's definitely no spark on any lead. I've removed the coil and checked the primary and secondary circuit resistance. 1.8ohm and 6,000 ohm, respectively. I hooked a big lamp in series to see if the brightness fluctuated as a result of the points opening and closing - it did. Could it be the condenser? It seems very strange that it's been running fine until this recent journey. There's also a problem with the foot starter switch. It works intermittently, but as I understand, that's on a separate circuit.

Any common faults with these?

Cheers, Lloyd
Freoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: No spark

First off, welcome to the board. I'm sure you will find it an invaluable resource as many of us have. A "nice original" '36 roadster? Wow, what a find. As to your no spark problem, I have one word "condenser", but I think you already knew that. If that's not it, then the coil.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
ems customer service

had similar problems, it turned out to be a ground connections, in my case, the distributor is grounded to the block by it physical contact with the block and the backing plate the points bolt to. to make the story short, i had to clean every metal to metal contact surface in the system. fired right up
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:35 AM   #4
Freoway

Thanks. I had my suspicions. I'll check it tomorrow. I'm learning my way around the '36. All simple and straightforward, except for the slightly unusual distributor. Now I've opened it up, I can see how it works. The previous owner converted the car to 12V and had the original coil rewound for 12V. Cheers, Lloyd

'36 Ford Roadster (RHD)
'57 Ford Thunderbird
Freoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
funrunr

Welcome to Fordbarn. very lucky find. I'm guessing that it's the car in your avatar.
Very nice looking, we love pics so don't be shy.