Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
Fordestes

Default electric engine clutch fan

Can anyone here give me some insight as to the longevity or practicality of using a electric belt driven engine fan, After reading the thread on the spare engine fan, I realized I have a N.O.S electric clutch fan, it apparently was originally sold from fred jones ford here in okla.city, I never took the time to install it.
fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
nospartsman
BANNED

Default Re: electric engine clutch fan

I assume you mean the accessory 1946-48 Ford Thermostatic fan offered by Ford. I have no experience running one of these fans, but I have had a few NOS ones in and out of the box. Most of the time when you find one of these fans the box has deteriorated and parts are missing. The most important piece is the temperature sensor/relay,(photo example) which is often missing from these units, usually the fan is found mounted to a piece of plywood and that's all you find. Maybe someone on Fordbarn has a installation instruction diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1115.jpg (25.0 KB, 43 views)
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
Fordestes

I luckily have the sensor but I was thinking about using a newer sensor and a bosch relay set up I was wondering if it is worth the effort , it seems somewhat practical to
stabilize temp. and lessen the drag on the engine, We used this concept in the trucking industry for about the last 40 odd years to better control the temp and help the fuel milege.
Fordestes,
Old 12-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
supereal

If they were popular, they wouldn't be rare today. Flatheads need all the radiator airflow they can get, so disconnecting the fan is hardly necessary.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Fordestes

I can remember when some hotrodders left the fan completely off ,I certainly wouldn't do it ,as for being popular the edelbrock 452 (as an example) wasn't produced un till about 1953, less than 200 originals were supposedly produced ,I own an (A) version and a (B) version so popularity in my opinion has no precedence, so when was the electric clutch fan introduced? it may hve not got the publicity at the time,nevertheless I am going to try it and see for myself after I disassemble it and pack the bearings, thanks for your input anyway.
Fordestes,