Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: Anyone familiar with Lucas Generators?

Actually the diode bridge was just to turn AC into DC so it wouldn't ruin the battery. The early three wire alternator couldn't generate more than 6-volts the way it was configured. The later 12-volt systems still had a selenium rectifier but dumped the extra voltage into the heat sink through the Zener Diode. Not the best systems but they were simple and lasted beyond warranty concerns. They were just good enough to run a headlamp, tail light, and occasionally a horn or brake light. A few watts was all they needed.

Times were tough with the Japanese take over of the motorcycle industry. The Japanese used the same basic systems but they were better quality components. Harley Davidson used generators clear up to 1971 on the big twins. If it was good enough for grandpa it was good enough for the kids.

The Lucas Automotive stuff had more durable components and are easily serviced. The wax paper condensers were the worst thing they made. Most other things worked pretty well. The generators & voltage regulators are easy to service and can be easilly rebuilt. A restorer just has to find good quality replacement pieces to rebuild them with. That can be more difficult now days.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-24-2013 at 04:48 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #22
blucar

Default Re: Anyone familiar with Lucas Generators?

My neighbor maintains that if you are going to drive an older British vehicle/motor cycle you have to have two of them, so that you have something to drive while one of them is broken down..
Until just a few years ago I had a neighbor, Hal, that had a '48 MG which he competed in sports cars races with.. He had purchased the car new in 1948, being an engineer he was really impressed with many features of the car..
For many years I did not pay much attention to the car.. I spoke to the man once in awhile, could see the rear portion of the car sitting in the garage.. One day I noted the car was up on axle stands, I asked the owner what he was doing.. Hal replied, doing a brake job.. I inquired if parts were hard to get for the car, Hal replied, no. I was quite surprised.. Then Hal added.. He had converted the brake system to Ford in '49-50, at the same time he installed a hopped up '40 Ford V8 60 engine, and a Hudson rear axle. He also discarded the original wire wheels, in favor of special wire wheels made by Motor Rim and Wheel in L.A., because the originals would not hold up under constant racing use. Even the shocks were EFV8 lever type.