Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2023, 12:52 PM   #1
8EL

Default Replacement Axle shafts

Finding a wide range of model A replacement shafts available. Part numbers A-4235 and A-4235A

Some are stated as being USA origin, others do not say. Some say tempered steel, others claim to be forgings (I think that is the A-4235A number designation) Prices range from $625.00 - $825.00.....

Has anyone had any experience with these axle shafts?
8EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:26 PM   #2
Grier

Default Re: Replacement Axle shafts

All the vendors I have contacted are out of stock for the rear axles. I was able to get the last one that Bert’s had for $795. It is USA made by Mark USA which I believe is the only manufacturer presently. I have been told that a batch is being made for delivery mid August.

The one I have received is of very excellent quality. No complaints. Several years ago I replaced another rear axle which I bought from Snyder’s. Same excellent quality.

I believe the price of $795 will probably be higher mid August with this latest production run. …. It won’t be going down.
Grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 11:00 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: Replacement Axle shafts

Axle shafts for the Model "A" should be forged, machined and then heat treated for tensile strength, hardness and stress relieving. Because of the long lead time associated with forging tools, engineers might specify that a limited number of parts may be machined from from stock and heat treated to the necessary strength.

Forgings have continuous grain structures that gives them superior strength and fatigue life, and they cost more to manufacture.