Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2023, 10:59 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default Model A vs Model T

I bet many of you Model A guys also have a Model T or two.....I find the Model A to be the first real car by Ford but the Great Grand Daddy is the T. The Model A is wonderful and can be driven at modern speeds but for me the T is the most fun you can have at 35 mph. The two speed transmission is a blast to drive and sitting up so high that you look down into pickup's is also interesting.

So who out there can comment on owning both an A and a T?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29 on 4 20 23.1.jpg (135.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Bath 1 28.jpg (142.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 1924 Coupe.jpg (140.8 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Model A Ron; 04-22-2023 at 11:42 AM.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 08:01 AM   #2
eagle

Default Re: Model A vs Model T

I had a 26 coupe before my A. It really was fun, but mine was completely wore out. The steering would over-center when you turned too sharp, that made for real interesting corners a time or two! I would love to have another one someday, although I'd definitely want to go through it from end to end before doing too much driving. I feel comfortable loading up the family and going for a weekend trip in the A, I don't think that would probably ever be an option with a T, they are a primative car. Lots of fun though.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:57 AM   #3
Ray in La Mesa

5 "A's", 1 "T".Love driving them all with 100,000 miles on the "A's" & no speedo on the "T". Drove original "T" tourings for three years giving historical tours in downtown San Diego. "A's" are drivable everyday cars, "T's" are Sunday driving toys.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:27 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
I bet many of you Model A guys also have a Model T or two.....I find the Model A to be the first real car by Ford but the Great Grand Daddy is the T. The Model A is wonderful and can be driven at modern speeds but for me the T is the most fun you can have at 35 mpg. The two speed transmission is a blast to drive and sitting up so high that you look down into pickup's is also interesting.

So who out there can comment on owning both an A and a T?
I own 5 Model-Ts ('10 Tourabout, '14 Runabout, '15 Speedster, '15 Touring, '26 Depot Hack) and 2 Model-As ('29 Phaeton & '30 Coupe).

I will be honest when I admit that none of my Model-Ts, -nor my Model-As get 35 mpg.

I think what you are mentioning about the Great Grand Daddy is actually the first Model-A, ...and not really the Model-T. The Model-As that we typically discuss here are considered 'modern cars' in the collector car world. When you study the 'alphabet cars', you see how each particular model paved the way for the Model-As that we discuss here. As most knowledgeable collectors will say, the Ford predecessors to the 1928 Model-A are very primitive in comparison.

The thing you are describing about the Model-T is that (excluding the New Improved Model-T) in a Model-T you ride 'on' it, and beginning in 1926 and throughout subsequent production, you rode 'inside' it. My personal preference is to ride 'on' one much like riding a bicycle, a motorcycle or an old tractor. It is that feeling of the Model-Ts primitiveness and fragileness that I find attractive. On most of my Model-Ts, I have made a few upgrades such as auxiliary brakes, a Ruckstell rear axle with 3.0 ratio, a SCAT crankshaft, a better camshaft, and a high compression cylinder head, and we typically cruise on tour at 45-48 MPH, -and have been known to exceed 50 MPH when the road conditions allow for it. Matter of fact, a month or so ago a group of about 20 Model-Ts toured progressively for 5 days starting in Ocala, Florida and spending the following nights in Cedar Key, Steinhatchee, Madison, Alachua, and back to Ocala for a total of about 500 miles. We toured on backroads, stopping to visit various landmarks & sites, and all but one completed the tour under their own power. I have been in/around this hobby for over 6 decades now, and I have never seen the participation in the Model-A side like it has been for the Model-T side when it comes to touring multiple days. Even at the Model-A national events, the Model-T tours seem to have more activities for families. My daughter and son both grew up attending Model-A and Model-T national events, and they both will tell you that they prefer to attend a Model-T event 10-to-1 over a Model-A event. Ron, I encourage you to start attending regional events (-not local club events) and see if what I am telling you is factual. THAT in a nutshell is why the participation with the Model-T has remained so popular for the past 50+ years.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:40 AM   #5
the cooch

I alternate between the T and A, sometimes twice a day. The T is harder to start if it’s cold and the A doesn’t care, just needs choke. I find the T easier to drive (once I practiced a while, haha) because the A trans is not synchronized and shifting requires more attention.
The A is considerably faster, but with half teslas and half four runners around here no one’s doing close to the speed limit anyway so they’re both a “nuisance” to commuters. It requires a lot of care to operate either, but the open car is easier to keep everyone else in view. Mostly folks are amused and wave, but the extra stopping distance you want can get taken away quickly in town traffic. My T is really light so it actually stops shorter than the A pickup, and generally I’m going way slower. My A pickup has a B motor, so it scoots right up to 40 and certainly needs more room to stop, but cruises on main roads right along with modern cars.
Very few people know the differences between the T and A so they’re equally intriguing to curious fans, but occasionally someone is aware of the T’s odd transmission and pedal arrangement, so that’s fun for everyone. I really enjoy teaching people to drive the T!
My cars are modified and quirky compared to nicely restored stock vehicles which are super easy to operate, but I’m coming to these from hot rodding them first and don’t mind. Restored to perfect A’s are gonna be a little less mysterious than T’s and easier for the average enthusiast to drive and maintain, but the earlier cars overall simplicity is sure charming if you understand the operating systems. For instance, I wouldn’t change my T from coils to a distributor as long as I have an A, and my T does not need a warford since it has a ruckstell. I personally enjoy the differences between them as much as either car individually.
If I had to come up with downsides to them, it’s the typical fussiness of the T, and the level of complication in the A. I take the truck if I have somewhere to be on time or consider a passengers level of patience for parking lot tinkering. But the A seems to need the mechanical systems to be set up in better tolerance and are not as forgiving to a hobby mechanic, haha…
I guess, deep down, my preference is for the T because it’s so distinct, and so iconic for its practicality. Having the A for cooler weather just means more days overall for me to drive any antique car. I think if your T is well restored though, it is just as reliable and comfortable as a scruffy model A. The last time I drove a nicely restored A we went 55 without realizing it, so the difference in ease of operation was obvious.
Seems like it would boil down to a choice based on an individuals feelings, and no real practical matters, as each type have more pluses than minuses, and all old cars are beautiful!
Phshooooffff that a lot of commenting, just have fun everybody!
-Chris, in Boulder
the cooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 03:12 PM   #6
Model A Ron

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray in La Mesa View Post
5 "A's", 1 "T".Love driving them all with 100,000 miles on the "A's" & no speedo on the "T". Drove original "T" tourings for three years giving historical tours in downtown San Diego. "A's" are drivable everyday cars, "T's" are Sunday driving toys.
With a little bit of help from Disk Brakes on the rear and a Warford overdrive I was able to get my 1915 Touring up to about 60 but I would not recommend doing that....just had to see if I could. With the Warford I have no problem driving 45 to 50 so I am not sure I would call the car that put the world on wheels a Sunday driving toy. My well sorted 15 hand starts on the first pull and has never left me stranded.
Old 04-22-2023, 03:14 PM   #7
nkaminar

As stated previously, the T is an antique and the A is a modern car by comparison. The T takes more maintenance. T owners are more inclined to customize their cars with funny radiator caps, exhaust whistles, etc. Think the car on the Beverly Hill Billies.

When I was in high school there was a Model T for sale down the street for $150. I wanted to buy it. My dad said no because they were dangerous. He lost an axle in one on a hill with his parents in the back seat and had to use the curb to stop. If you loose an axle you have lost your service brake and the parking brake is no good for stopping. He was right, they are dangerous. I finally bought one about 15 years ago and put disk brakes in the rear.

T's are only for back roads and not highways or freeway, except maybe the LA freeways in rush hour. (Why do they call it rush hour when it is stop and crawl?)
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 04-22-2023 at 03:20 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 07:54 PM   #8
Model A Ron

[QUOTE= He lost an axle in one on a hill with his parents in the back seat and had to use the curb to stop. If you loose an axle you have lost your service brake and the parking brake is no good for stopping. He was right, they are dangerous. I finally bought one about 15 years ago and put disk brakes in the rear.

[/QUOTE]

Its well known that the original axles had babbitt thrust washers and they do fail causing you to loose an axle. The good news is that most hum and make all sorts of noise before full failure. If you disregard this the end result is you loose the axle and if you did not put on rear brakes the transmission brake will no longer work. Not sure I would call this dangerous as long as you replace the original trust washers with brass washers.
Old 04-22-2023, 08:07 PM   #9
JoeCB

If you can find it on line listen to the song "Henry made a Lady out of Lizzie" . I have the record for my Victrola. Talks about how the "A" was received by the public when introduced.
Joe B

Last edited by JoeCB; 04-23-2023 at 05:24 PM.
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 03:35 PM   #10
Gene F

These are all very interesting. For me, I like to drive my car, so the T is too primative for even errands. I do have a lot of respect for the Ts though. They sure changed America, and the world too.

My Great-grandfater only owned 2 cars in his lifetime, both were used cars he bought from his cousin. His cousin bought a new car every year or two. His cars were 1926 T (bought in 1928), and a 1947 Plymouth sedan which he had beyond his death. It ran, and was his go to town car until his death in 1979. His son drove him in it though.

BTW, I recall one time my Great-grandmother telling about the first time they ever saw a car. It was stuck in the mud, and the owner had to go get a team of horses to pull it out. Think about that a minute. They must have been 16 or 18 years old, and had never seen a car before. I realize they lived in a rural area of Ohio, but ggggeeezzzzeeee!
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:22 PM   #11
Model A Ron

The A is by far more of a modern car but the T is also dependable and to me more fun to drive with the funny 2 speed setup. It can be tricky to master but once you do you will be hooked. I would never recommend driving one with just the transmission brake but its not hard to add rear brakes

I love both for different reasons and for anyone who is mechanical and can handle an A I recommend getting a T.......that is if you have the space and a little extra cash.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:00 AM   #12
KGBnut

I've never owned a Model T, but have long wanted one. Sadly, I don't have a place to put one. Perhaps some day.

Ken
Old 04-26-2023, 07:47 PM   #13
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
I've never owned a Model T, but have long wanted one. Sadly, I don't have a place to put one. Perhaps some day.

Ken
The Model T is a little smaller than the A so a shed could do the trick. I have also seen carports closed in and they work as well.
Old 04-27-2023, 12:10 AM   #14
stickshift

All this talk about Model T's got me curious and thinking one would be fun to have. I checked the local Craigslist and saw a nice 1926 T but I was doubtful about the engine. I thought that T's had a buzz-box for an ignition but this one has a front distributor. Is this right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00o0o_iwmpECdh3rl_0ak07K_600x450.jpg (54.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 00V0V_RFaeU6oJTe_0ak07K_600x450.jpg (39.7 KB, 33 views)
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 02:40 AM   #15
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
The Model T is a little smaller than the A so a shed could do the trick. I have also seen carports closed in and they work as well.

but, be careful, some Model Ts are a bit higher, a Touring would not fit into my garage....
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 05:17 AM   #16
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInCologne View Post
but, be careful, some Model Ts are a bit higher, a Touring would not fit into my garage....
I can see what you saying about a Coupe as mine is about 6'3'' but not with a Touring as you can lower the top and flip the windshield down. A touring will fit in any standard garage. I have 7 foot doors on my building so it's never an issue for me.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:06 AM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshift View Post
All this talk about Model T's got me curious and thinking one would be fun to have. I checked the local Craigslist and saw a nice 1926 T but I was doubtful about the engine. I thought that T's had a buzz-box for an ignition but this one has a front distributor. Is this right?
All Model-Ts did come equipped with magneto-powered Trembler coils system however there were many aftermarket items used to replace the system. The engine in your picture is using an aftermarket distributor used instead of the coils and commutator system. I find the aftermarket distributors are not necessarily better than properly adjusted coils however they are definitely much easier to service for the average mechanic, -hence the reason many are converted. Nice looking car in the pics. Let us know if you purchase it.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 03:53 PM   #18
jwilliams81

I have had my Model A for going on 7 years. It is completely stock (6v generator, no overdrive, no turn signals, no seat belts, no thermostat). I drive it to work everyday that there is not salt on the roads in the winter. I drive on backroads only so no interstate driving. I have put 5,000 miles a year on her every year (30,000 miles in 6 years).

I have had my Model T for one solid year (June of 2022). In that time I have put 1,800 miles on her. She is amazing and I find myself wanting to drive her to work daily...but I only drive her to work during the summer and on Fridays.

The Model A to me is almost the oldest car that can keep up in day-to-day traffic. It isn't as annoying to other drivers as the Model T can be. When the stop light turns green I take off at the same speed as modern cars, and there isn't much of a lag between gear shifts.

I think you are correct in that the simplicity of the Model T is a true joy to observe and drive. My Model T is a 23' Touring car and there is an indescribable elegance around the car. With the top up or down, she just looks elegant.

I love both and I am very blessed to own both. I don't think I could pick if I only had to own one! You can't really pick a favorite child can you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jarrod Williams 1923 Ford Model T Touring.jpg (76.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Model T.jpg (111.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Model A.jpg (83.8 KB, 16 views)
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 04:30 PM   #19
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams81 View Post
I have had my Model A for going on 7 years. It is completely stock (6v generator, no overdrive, no turn signals, no seat belts, no thermostat). I drive it to work everyday that there is not salt on the roads in the winter. I drive on backroads only so no interstate driving. I have put 5,000 miles a year on her every year (30,000 miles in 6 years).

I have had my Model T for one solid year (June of 2022). In that time I have put 1,800 miles on her. She is amazing and I find myself wanting to drive her to work daily...but I only drive her to work during the summer and on Fridays.

The Model A to me is almost the oldest car that can keep up in day-to-day traffic. It isn't as annoying to other drivers as the Model T can be. When the stop light turns green I take off at the same speed as modern cars, and there isn't much of a lag between gear shifts.

I think you are correct in that the simplicity of the Model T is a true joy to observe and drive. My Model T is a 23' Touring car and there is an indescribable elegance around the car. With the top up or down, she just looks elegant.

I love both and I am very blessed to own both. I don't think I could pick if I only had to own one! You can't really pick a favorite child can you?

Great looking cars. Your a lucky man.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 06:33 PM   #20
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams81 View Post

I agree with you. I love my Model A and it does well in traffic at modern speeds but my T's are much more fun to drive and it's hard to take my eyes off them when parking.