Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Gold Digger

Default Chrome or stainless bumpers

I'm putting rear bumpers on my 30 roadster to mount a trailer hitch on and the bumpers I have are so rusty and pitted I can't rechrome them and was wondering the pros and cons of after market chrome or new stainless.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: Chrome or stainless bumpers

I got a new bumper (rear) from Little Dearborn and am completely satisfied with it.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 04-08-2013 at 11:45 AM.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
luckyal

I would say whatever matches the front unless you plan to replace those also !
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Gold,

Call Bert's & ask for Phil & let him know what you are trying to achieve, that is, if you want a Model A technical answer based on tons of Model A bumper experiences.

You will be glad you did & will have peace of mind that you made the right choice.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
MikeK

The stainless have less spring and they will bend with a much lighter bump than the originals. To my eye polished stainless appears slightly more yellow than chrome. The stainless surface is softer than chrome and will accumulate extremely fine scratches from constant washing. On the plus side, the stainless will never rust pit and can be re-polished.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Besides what MikeK says above, the stainless bumpers are not the correct length, if that matters. When I did my 31 tudor, I used rechromed originals from Berts and was well pleased. When I did our roadster, at that time, Berts had quit doing rechromed bumpers. I bought new chromed bumpers for the roadster from Smith and Jones in Columbia SC. The Smith and Jones chrome bumpers when compared to Berts rechromed originals measured up exactly the same length. The back side was unpolished but was a little smoother than Berts but looks very good to me. At the time and maybe still, the Smith and jones bumpers had a one year warranty. They've been on the roadster for seven years and still look great to me. the early 30 front bumpers are slightly longer than the 31 front bumpers originally. The stainless bumpers don't match the length of either.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Gold Digger

My real concern is after a few years the reproduction bumpers may start rusting like some I see from time to time. I didn't make myself clear in describing my truck. It's a 1930 76-b open cab pickup and didn't come out with bumpers. I hope I'm not devaluating it by adding bumpers on the back.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

As long as you don't drill, cut, or weld the frame to add the bumpers, it shouldn't affect the value.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
160B

I am not an expert on chroming. But I have learned that you want to ask what process was used in plating the bumpers you are considering purchasing. As I understand it if the plating process was copper/chrome or as I call it a double plating this will not hold up as well as the copper/nickel/chrome plating or as I call it triple plating. I had my front bumper plated in triple chrome, a little more expensive but will hold up much longer as I understand it.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7552257_tr...e-plating.html

Decorative Chrome Plating
Decorative plating refers to the use of thin layers of chrome, measuring in the millionths of inches, on a nickel base with the goal of maximizing luster and reflection. Nickel provides most of the shine, but the chrome keeps the nickel from tarnishing, minimizes scratching and protects against corrosion.

Triple Chome Plating
Triple chrome plating refers to decorative chrome. It implies three layers of chrome but instead delineates the use of three metal layers as plating. Chrome is always on top, and nickel is always the second layer, providing most of the brilliance associated with "chrome." The third layer fluctuates between steel, copper or nickel.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
28ACoupe

As I recall, the Model A bumpers, and everything else bright on the cars as well, were not chromed. They are nickle plated. There is a very definite difference in the look. Stainless does not look right.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28ACoupe View Post
As I recall, the Model A bumpers, and everything else bright on the cars as well, were not chromed. They are nickle plated. There is a very definite difference in the look. Stainless does not look right.
Seems strange, but the 28-31 bumpers were all chromed, while the rest of the bright work for 28-9 was nickel.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
28ACoupe

The bumpers on my 28 were nickle plated at the factory. Not chrome. Odd that. Oh well. I stand corrected.

Cheers,
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:04 AM   #13
Roadster Rich

I am all for the stainless bumpers. Maybe some can tell appearance, but I can't unless they are placed side by side together. They look great to me and I know I will not be worried about the rusting out again, after two sets in the last 40 years!! I put the stainless on my roadster this year and will do my town sedan later this year.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Digger View Post
I'm putting rear bumpers on my 30 roadster to mount a trailer hitch on and the bumpers I have are so rusty and pitted I can't rechrome them and was wondering the pros and cons of after market chrome or new stainless.
I had these powdercoated with a ceramic coating used on marine applications. About 3hree years now and I live 4 blocks from the pacific ocean. Red-Before--Blue-After
Chet

Last edited by Growley bear; 05-06-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote