Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2024, 06:30 PM   #1
Krylon32

Default Donovan 4 Cylinder

Studying the Donovan Aluminum 4 cylinder motor. I'm a rookie and am wondering what do they use for a head? They show both Flathead & Overhead parts. They are priced the same just 2 separate lists. Over the years at the LARS in June I've seen I think H&H? or maybe someone else displaying a variety of over head conversions for the 4 cylinder. There's also Miller High Speed Heads. Since Donovan doesn't show a head I'm curious to know what fits and is available? When I total up their price sheet you gotta be a Griz, not for the faint hear ted.

Last edited by Krylon32; 03-08-2024 at 06:40 PM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 07:32 PM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Donovan 4 Cylinder

Donovan makes a flathead but most guys use an OHV head. The Model D (Donovan's name for the banger block) is super strong, and expensive but worth it if you are going to drive it hard. They are not legal in V4 Bonneville classes. I'm not sure they are still in production???

The Burtz is a more economical way to get a good block/crank, they are really nice, but also not legal for Bonneville.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 09:38 PM   #3
Pete

The Burtz has 2 intake ports like stock.
The Donavan has 4 of better flow design. It is like adding 4 more cylinders if you develop them.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 01:34 AM   #4
Dan McEachern

Donovan is no longer offering the D block for sale as far as I'm aware. The block will accept any Model A/B flathead or Overhead valve head made for an A or B block as the cylinder spacing and head bolt layout is the same as a Ford block. Donovan blocks do come up for sale on occasion, but not very often.
Dan McEachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 09:04 AM   #5
denis4x4

Donovan made an aluminum head.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:33 AM   #6
johnneilson

This was a couple years ago, "D" block and a Arnold Birner head a friend was making.

I did a build on another "D" block made for the Birner head, without intake ports or valve chambers.

J
Old 03-09-2024, 01:25 PM   #7
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
....When I total up their price sheet you gotta be a Griz, not for the faint hear ted.
That price list is also 13 years old. You'll need to add an arm and a leg to the cost.
https://qix.owj.mybluehost.me/wp-con.../05/ModelD.pdf

I've only seen one Donovan in the wild. It was in a very nice PU with an OHV head.

Last edited by ModelA29; 03-09-2024 at 01:32 PM.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 02:32 PM   #8
Krylon32

I'm guessing if you could find the parts today it cost upwards of $50K+ to build the motor?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 11:22 AM   #9
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
They are not legal in V4 Bonneville classes.
Why is it that other classes have no problem using aftermarket heads and blocks but a Four Banger can Not?
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 11:44 AM   #10
40 Deluxe

The Donovan goes back to what, the late '60's? Seems like I remember an article in Hot Rod magazine back then!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 12:42 PM   #11
johnneilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Why is it that other classes have no problem using aftermarket heads and blocks but a Four Banger can Not?
Chris

The V4 classes are Vintage strictly meaning original blocks of pre 1935 manufacture
You can run the Donovan in the displacement classes but the architecture is a disadvantage

J
Old 03-11-2024, 02:03 PM   #12
Terry Burtz, Calif

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
Chris

The V4 classes are Vintage strictly meaning original blocks of pre 1935 manufacture
You can run the Donovan in the displacement classes but the architecture is a disadvantage

J
Are diamond Model B cylinder blocks with casting dates from 1937 eligible?
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 03:26 PM   #13
johnneilson

So yes Terry
The diamond blocks have been used
I am someone will have an issue and that will change

J
Old 03-11-2024, 11:32 PM   #14
Pete

Many years ago I had a friend that was a professional student.
He had inherited money when in high school and did not have to work after he finished 6 years of college in electrical engineering. He had an extremely high IQ and was always seeking knowledge of any kind. I met him at the local ham radio club.
By professional student, I mean after he finished getting a Phd in EE he enrolled in getting a degree in mechanical engineering. He was always going to school. He was always working part time in the trade he was studying and while not always pursuing the work aspect of life with complete interest he figured it was helping to reduce the time required to get the degree. He was always looking forward to more schooling.
Later in middle age and after he had quit going to school with 6 degrees in, I don't remember them all, except that one was law, he got a job teaching high level college mathematics.
He had always been interested in LSR and had been on my pit crew several times.
One time we had been talking over quite a few beers and the discussion got around to building a 4 cylinder engine that would absolutely meet the rules of the vintage class but would be so illegal rules intentwise, it was a joke.
After listening to his idea, I decided it was possible and within cost possibility, I told him I was not interested but we did talk about it for several years after that.
The main reason I was not interested was that while the rules would have to let it run if it showed up, (and it would have absolutely set a record so high it would never be reached unless with a similar engine) the rules for the next meet would have been changed before the current meet was half over.
And after that, it would be REAL boring if you knew you could win every time.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 01:41 AM   #15
Dodge

Terry,
There have been a lot of discussion about letting your Block kits run in the F.A.S.T.
hill climbs.
The outcome is this year they are going to be allowed to run for time up the hill,
but not be eligible for class wins or King of the Hill.
There was discussion about looking at it next year if enough show up they might have
their own class.

Having fun with your Kits......

Dodge
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 12:10 PM   #16
Jim Brierley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Vintage 4 (V4) classes are allowed any OHV or OHC conversion that you want to run, its the block that SCTA limits, to 1934 or earlier, or any block approved by the original manufacturer as a replacement block, so diamond blocks are also permitted. Turbos are not allowed except in Lakester or Streamliner classes. 5-main cranks, etc. are also permitted. V4F classes are for the above but must be of flathead design. The SCTA president says he may try to get the Burtz block allowed, don't hold your breath!

The V4 streamliner record is somewhere North of 200 MPH, even when using gasoline!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 12:24 PM   #17
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Terry,
There have been a lot of discussion about letting your Block kits run in the F.A.S.T. hill climbs.
The outcome is this year they are going to be allowed to run for time up the hill, but not be eligible for class wins or King of the Hill.

This is logical as a separate class. As Terry says - "It's a modern engine".
There are several original block engines that have been modified for 5 main cranks but they do not have the metallurgy or rigidity of the Burtz block. I've also been curious if the Burtz can be ported beyond what you can do to a stock block.

There are a lot of different groups with different rules. SCTA/Bville limits block age but everything else in the driveline is open.

TROG limits body to pre 34, engine and drivetrain to 1953 and older as well as the "look" - https://www.theraceofgentlemen.com/entry

FAST will even fiberglass bodies. - https://www.hotforhotfours.com/docum...0&%20Rules.pdf

You need to figure out which arena you want to play in and build for that battle.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote