Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
stan35

Default leaking steering box

Hi guys- In Sept. I parked my avatar (1935) in my garage and haven't used it since due to a serious illness. Looking it over yesterday I discovered that all the lubricant in the steering box leaked out. I had it filled with John Deere Corn Head Grease after reading many posts on the barn. I purchased the car from a neighbor who had it restored. Unfortunately the steering box was not rebuilt. I knew it was leaking when I purchased the car. I have owned it for 3 years. I used to keep it topped off with 600W until I read about the corn head grease last year. I don't have the ability to have it repaired correctly at this time. Is there any other way of stopping this leakage? If not, i guess i will keep a diligent eye on the level and refill as necessary. All advice is appreciated. Thanks, Stan.
stan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: leaking steering box

I am going to assume that it is leaking around the pitman arm shaft? quick fix would be to get some round pump packing from a industrial supply store or an old time hardware store and wrap around the area between the shaft and the housing, push the round packing up into the housing as you are wrapping it if there is enough room
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
30-9

There shouldn't be that much left, just put a pan under it.

Hope you get well soon - take care...
Old 04-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

PennRite steering box lube. NO leaky.

Available from Restoration Specialties, Escondido, CA.
They have a website with on line ordering.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #5
Terry,OH

For 35 there are two areas to repair to stop leaking. The seal at the pitman arm. The original was a metal shield with a cork insert, pry them out and replace with: CR11209 seal. The other leaking point is the end of the box just above the light switch. There is an steel end plate with a brass tube crimped in the center. The horn rod passes through the brass tube. If you remove the end plate and inner tube you can silver solder the tube to the end plate. The tubes usually crack at this point. If your not ready to do either repair and the corn head has run out of the box, there is not much more that can be done.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
Curt in AZ

Thanks re: Restoration Supply. They have some things I've not been able to find elsewhere. http://www.restorationstuff.com/index.html
Curt in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

It's difficult for me to understand how the John Deere Corn Head Grease all leaked out of that 35 steering box after I have personally used it in several 35-36 gear boxes that leaked oil badly, but leak almost nothing now with JDCHG. Maybe there was some amount of gear oil that remained in the box when you added the JDCHG and the two lubes mixed together which would have changed the mixed viscosity of the lube in the box, making it more prone to leaking out. If you have not already tried this, fill the box again with CHG and see if this will leak out again after driving the car some, and watch to see where it may be leaking.from.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-09-2016 at 02:23 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #8
stan35

alanwoodieman- you are correct in that the leakage appears to be coming from above the pitman arm. Your idea sounds good for a temporary fix. I will try to find someone who can do the repair for me. Thanks to all for your input
stan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #9
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
It's difficult for me to understand how the John Deere Corn Head Grease all leaked out of that 35 steering box after I have personally used it in several 35-36 gear boxes that leaked oil badly, but leak almost nothing now with JDCHG. Maybe there was some amount of gear oil that remained in the box when you added the JDCHG and the two lubes mixed together which would have changed the mixed viscosity of the lube in the box, making it more prone to leaking out. If you have not already tried this, fill the box again with CHG and see if this will leak out again after driving the car some, and watch to see where it may be leaking.from.
Put me down for that conclusion. Unless you tell us you you cleaned out the box before adding CHG it's only expected that the stream still flowed. Here's to good health. Be well.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
40ford

My steering box leaks out STP.I got a tube of corn grease.Do you just put in a grease gun and fill up the box completely.Looks like it would form a cavity and not do any lubrication at all???
40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #11
mike42

Hey Flamingo.........how did you fill the box with Penrite ? I bought some and should have next week.

Thx......Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

It's got a neck on it that fits opening, might "warm" it first. Been 5 years since I put it in and haven't touched it since.
Paul in CT
Old 07-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #13
mike42

Okay thx. I should have it from California by next Monday.

Mike
Old 07-16-2016, 01:44 AM   #14
mike42

Hey Flamingo.......

Got the Pennrite last night. How did you heat it up to pour easier. I'm thinking to put in boiling water to thin out a bit. What did you do ?

Thx Mike
Old 07-25-2016, 01:57 AM   #15
mike42

Hey Flamingo.........got the Pennrite. Used an old ketchup bottle to squirt lube into gear box. It stopped the massive leak for sure. I saw a little bit of drippings but it's been really hot and humid here for last few weeks. Just wanted to thank you for recommendation.

Mike
Old 07-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #16
nbrskn

I drove a 1968 ford pi up for 200,000 miles on it with grease in the manual steering box. Had almost no play . I bought this truck new so I know the history of it. 200,026 when I finally shut it down. Put the OD
trans and 3rd member in my 46 ford car behind a 50 merc engine that I took out of a 50 merc car when I was a young man . I am now 74.
nbrskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #17
mike42

The Pennrite works great !
Old 07-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #18
1931 flamingo

GOOD ! ! !
Paul
Old 07-26-2016, 07:55 AM   #19
stangblue

Kudos to the person on Ford Barn who suggested AN102562 John Deere Special Purpose Corn Head Grease a tube cost $3.67 at GreenPartStore. I originally filled my steering box with a mixture recommended by Dick Flynn the V-8 adviser in the V-8 magazine and had some minor leakage. Switched over to Corn Head Grease and nothing so far. If you watch the Demo on you-tube you will understand better. Added you must clean the old stuff out and I did it took a little time by suction with an air nozzle attachment to vacuum. Stuffed small pieces of rags Remember to leave a piece of tail of the rag so you can pull it out and finished off with several pipe cleaners wiping them frequently after while turning the steering wheel.I did not want to use a solvent because I sealed the cork gasket at the switch with Right Stuff tm gasket maker. Good luck!

Last edited by stangblue; 07-26-2016 at 08:48 AM.
stangblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:39 AM   #20
RalphG

Since the John Deere store is close to a 70 mile round trip away I have not got my grease yet. Been looking at possible alternatives online and learned a little. JD corn head grease is NLGI rating 0 and has "thixotropic" properties so I looked for those qualities in the local Co-op where I normally buy grease. They do list a similar product called Flow rite I might look into. Some interesting reading at this link re: using thixotropic grease in steering boxes and differentials. http://vehiclesofvictory.com/2010/11...ome-instances/
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote