Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
dan ia

Default '36 bed bolts

Getting ready to put the box back on my '36 pickup. The bolts that hold the box to the frame were all but destroyed when taking apart. I am getting the carriage bolts that go in the front of the box from Roy, but need the other 6 (3 on each side) clutch head bolts with the square drive. I think they are 3 separate lengths, is this correct? Does anyone know where I can find these?
dan ia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
Scott H in Wheaton

Default Re: '36 bed bolts

I'm at the same point on my '36 bed. It may take awhile to find the right stuff, but in the meantime I'm going to use 8.5" hex head bolts at the four corners just to keep the project moving forward. It will be easy to take them out and slip new ones into place once the correct ones are located.

Until the bed is mounted, I can't finish the gas filler neck, tail lights, rear fenders, running boards, etc etc. So...doing what I can to keep moving forward.

I have a tendancy to get hung up on doing something 'right' and it puts roadblocks in the project. I think its like what they refer to as 'analysis paralysis'...afraid to make the wrong decision, so no decision gets made. I almost gave up on getting door handles and window cranks because I wanted the best ones. Well, finally decided SOMETHING is better than NOTHING, and if I spent $40 bucks on handles I don't like, worst case scenario is I take 10 minutes and swap them out in the future and then re-sell the ones I'm not using.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
oldandtired

When you get to putting the bed on, it might be just my ineptness, but had a bit of a challenge getting to the top bolt on the passenger side runningboard brace that the spare rod attaches to with the filler panels on and a challenge getting the filler panels on when the runningboards were in place. The bed and filler panels were from Moberley, and there were no holes tapped to install the filler panels.
Mac's in Moberley used to sell the special bolts for mounting the bed. I do not know if they still do or not.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
V12Bill

I went to the hardware store and bought the proper length carriage bolts. I think there were 4 different lengths. I smoothed off the ID stampings on the head of the bolts and painted them to prevent rust. I believe that some years had a square hole in a few of the bolt heads and these must come from Roy.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
Mart

I agree with Scott H's "analysis paralysis" comment. God, how I suffer from that.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
I went to the hardware store and bought the proper length carriage bolts. I think there were 4 different lengths. I smoothed off the ID stampings on the head of the bolts and painted them to prevent rust. I believe that some years had a square hole in a few of the bolt heads and these must come from Roy.
They cost a little more, but typically the stainless carriage bolts are stamped with ink and are easier to disguise.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
Vanspeed

Does Roy not have these correct bolts?
Old 02-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #8
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
Does Roy not have these correct bolts?
Call him and find out...734-654-9450
or better yet, take an hour drive and go visit him. according to GoogleMaps he is just 49 miles north of you.

I placed an order with him a couple days ago, but not for bed bolts. I'm doing firewall and doors right now.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #9
oldandtired

Hopefully these pictures will help. Not only am I old and tired, my brain doesn't work very well either.
In the first picture, there is an OEM carriage bolt that good old Henry used to hold the body on a 39 panel delivery. Next to it is a bolt I had to make to approximate it because you cannot buy the low profile type carriage bolts in that length anymore to make one. The closest I could find is a conveyor bolt which I cut the head off of and used it to make a low profile head bolt.There is also an OEM short bolt for mounting the bed with the square opening and a couple of OEM long bolts for mounting the bed with the square drive hole. The one on the far right shows the cup washer that was also used.

The second picture shows half a dozen aftermarket short bolts and the OEM one. One of the aftermarket ones has an aftermarket cup washer.The next one is an obviously used one with the cup washer.The next two bolts are a modern carriage bolt next to the FORD OEM bolt to show the huge difference in them that makes it hard to use a new one. There are two OEM used long bolts and the black one is the only NOS one I have found in the last 15 years of keeping my eye out for them. There is probably someone out there with 50 of them but I have had a very hard time finding them. All of the long ones to the right are aftermarket ones I bought 10-12 years ago. I pictured them next to the OEM ones to show the difference in the number of threads, with the aftermarket ones having quite a few more threads. You could probably cut down a long one and use it as a short one. The last picture is just a side view.
Henry Ford sometimes did not make it easy. I believe the square hole is not quite the same as a 3/8 drive ratchet extension. I believe it is the same size as the one on the engine stabilizer rod bolts, but I did not go measure them this time. I ground down an inexpensive 3/8 drive extension to install them from what I remember.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM003415.JPG (135.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IM003416.JPG (137.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IM003417.JPG (140.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by oldandtired; 02-11-2016 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo...another symptom...
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
Lawson Cox

I don't remember exactly what I did, but I know I had to cut the head off and welded it on to the proper length bolt or all-thread to get it to work. I remember all heads were new, but where I got them is unclear after so many years. Good luck with your truck.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #11
dan ia

I just put in an order with Roy, he does not have these bolts. I am thinking I will end up doing what Lawson did and weld onto some all thread or a different bolt. Your correct that Henry did not make it easy at times lol, the square drive is a little bit smaller than a 3/8 drive... BUT, I have an old screw driver that the tip broke off but the shank was the perfect size for the square head. Sometimes it is beneficial to be a packrat!
dan ia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #12
Scott H in Wheaton

image.jpg
Makes me feel good knowing mine are going to be buried under a sheet of plywood...don't have to worry about the heads. If anything I can use a forstner bit and drill a pocket on the backside of the plywood to clear the hex heads.

Last edited by Scott H in Wheaton; 02-11-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #13
Bob NH

When I did mine , I did the same as Lawson. Cut off the heads and weld them to new bolts. Now, if you knew a buddy with a Bridgeport mill, you could make the head then use a small end mill to cut out the square recess and bingo ! ya got it.
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote