Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2023, 07:14 PM   #1
ndnchf

Default Some of my electrical test equipment

Previously I've posted here and on the model A forum about testing generators, cutouts and other electrical bits n bobs. I have a small group of car guys coming over on Wednesday to see my cars and they asked about testing a few coils and generators - I said sure, no problem. My equipment is normally in a small room. But since it would be cramped for all to see what's happening, I moved most of the equipment out into a larger room. This gave me the opportunity to take a family photo of all this gear.

Left to right they are: cutout test rig (power supply and Simpson 260 meter), handheld modern condenser tester. Herbrand coil and condenser tester, generator test stand connected to a amps/volts test set (1935 ford generator on the stand), growler for testing armatures for opens, shorts and grounds.

Not shown, I also have a megger for checking field coils for insulation breakdown, a lathe for turning commutators and a mica undercutter. Plus a few more obscure pieces of test equipment.

I don't take in outside work except for cutouts. I just play with this stuff for my own entertainment and help local guys out as needed.

I have youtube videos showing most of these in action too.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230807_185908_copy_1612x557.jpg (50.6 KB, 203 views)
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:12 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Some of my electrical test equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
Previously I've posted here and on the model A forum about testing generators, cutouts and other electrical bits n bobs. I have a small group of car guys coming over on Wednesday to see my cars and they asked about testing a few coils and generators - I said sure, no problem. My equipment is normally in a small room. But since it would be cramped for all to see what's happening, I moved most of the equipment out into a larger room. This gave me the opportunity to take a family photo of all this gear.

Left to right they are: cutout test rig (power supply and Simpson 260 meter), handheld modern condenser tester. Herbrand coil and condenser tester, generator test stand connected to a amps/volts test set (1935 ford generator on the stand), growler for testing armatures for opens, shorts and grounds.

Not shown, I also have a megger for checking field coils for insulation breakdown, a lathe for turning commutators and a mica undercutter. Plus a few more obscure pieces of test equipment.

I don't take in outside work except for cutouts. I just play with this stuff for my own entertainment and help local guys out as needed.

I have youtube videos showing most of these in action too.

Steve
LUCKY YOU!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 07:04 AM   #3
rockfla

Still "jonesin" over your Herbrand tester!!!! Is that a "growler" all the way to the right???
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 07:20 AM   #4
ndnchf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Still "jonesin" over your Herbrand tester!!!! Is that a "growler" all the way to the right???
The Herbrand was a lucky find, It took a good bit of searching to find it. It needed significant repairs to get back in working order. Yes, that is a growler on the far right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Herbrand2.jpg (47.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Herbrand3.jpg (52.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 20230808_080859_copy_567x1008.jpg (35.1 KB, 78 views)
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 10:48 AM   #5
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
The Herbrand was a lucky find, It took a good bit of searching to find it. It needed significant repairs to get back in working order. Yes, that is a growler on the far right.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote