Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2023, 04:42 PM   #1
Daves55Sedan

Default Temporary door handle covers

I heard on the radio that a big snow storm is coming tonight with possible ice. My '55 Fairlane sits outside always and in years past, prolonged ice and snow buildup on the door handles has caused the total destruction (pitting) of the chrome on the handles. ONE ice or snow storm is all it takes.
So, a few years back I found some cheap NOS '55/56 door handles and put them on.
I cut out some 1/2 inch thick foam packing material to match the pattern of the top of the door handles. Then I tied a bunch of plastic grocery bags together (3 per handle) to wrap around the handle with the foam cover on top of the handle. The plastic bags are tied at the end and hold the foam cover on the handle. This has saved my NOS door handles from being destroyed by severe winter weather a few times.
After Ice/snow melts, I unties the plastic bags, remove the foam covers and stuff all that stuff in a box marked "door handle covers" that I can re-use winter after winter. And they have been used quite a bit.
So, if any of you guys have a '50's Ford that won't fit in the garage, here is a way t5o save3 your door handle chrome.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote