Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2022, 09:55 AM   #1
Ford coupe

Default 55 neutral safety switch

Ok i got and installed a new neutral safety switch on my vicky but now how do i adjust it..It will start in reverse now so where now?? There is a bit of adjustment via the slotted hole in the switch so will i get enough there or it looks like i could loosen the mounting bracket on the steering column and maybe turn it a bit..sO IF ANYONE CAN HELP MUCH appreciated..bY THE WAY CANNOT FIND ANY INFO IN THE 55 SHOP MANUAL..gOTTA GET THIS DONE AS ITS DRIVE TIME...tHANK YOU IN ADVANCE..
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:44 AM   #2
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: 55 neutral safety switch

"There is a bit of adjustment via the slotted hole in the switch so will i get enough there or it looks like i could loosen the mounting bracket on the steering column and maybe turn it a bit.."

The answer is yes.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:18 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 55 neutral safety switch

The bracket bolted to the base of the steering column has two dogs that fit into slots at the top half of the lower steering tube, so that part is stationary. The neutral switch itself has slotted mounting holes for adjustment purposes.
Place gear select lever in neutral (with parking brake on). Loosen the two 5/16 hex head screws that hold the neutral switch to that bracket. Now move the bracket around until you hear a little click inside that switch. At that point, you will notice the actuator on the switch is aimed upward and a little bit to the left. Hold it firmly there and tighten the two screws. Now it should start in neutral.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote