Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2023, 08:51 AM   #1
Ford coupe

Thumbs down 55 steering box

I have about 3 inches play on the steerin wheel of my 55 crown so how much is it safe to adjust the set screw on the steering box without doing harm to the interior of the box..
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 08:58 AM   #2
5851a

Default Re: 55 steering box

It's not meant for taking up wear and tear. Only for an adjustment during building.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:15 AM   #3
40cpe

Put the steering in the straight ahead position. Remove the lock nut and turn the adjusting screw in until it stops, don't force the screw. Then back off just a little so it doesn't touch. Reinstall lock nut. This is all you can do. If you have slack, you have worn pars.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 11:12 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Just to add, I usually disconnect the drag link or center link from the pitman arm so that I can move the steering gears and feel for notches in the movement. If it feels notchy then there are spalled out areas on the worm gear. They ride most of their life in the straight ahead position so that's where a lot of the wear usually is. Once off the straight ahead position, there is more and more play to allow the wheels to steer properly in a turn. This is normal so the only place you can take any slack out is in the straight ahead position.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-11-2023 at 10:25 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:09 PM   #5
Ford coupe

So a bit leary here...Is the set screw under a cap as i see two heads of bolts or caps and the larger one is the cap over the set screw i presume...When i take that cap off will it turn the set screw or not..Where do i install oil in it and what kind...Thanks in advance...
Old 06-09-2023, 12:55 PM   #6
Dobie Gillis

You're correct, the larger cap covers the adjustment screw. The screw won't turn when you remover the cap because there is what looks like a star washer held down by the cap that locks the screw in place. The oil goes in through the other hole. I use straight STP in my steering box as it is a high pressure lubricant. John Deere corn head grease is another popular option.
Old 06-09-2023, 05:05 PM   #7
Ford coupe

Not very much slack in the straight ahead but more later on in turnso since i can not turn screw i think best to l;eave it alone..Not much sign of lube so going to add some lucas that reminds me of slick 50..Is it possible that the star washer is stuck to the case and the reason i can not turn the screw?
Old 06-09-2023, 05:37 PM   #8
40cpe

It's been a long time since I adjusted one, but I think the star washer has to come off. Its what keeps the adjustment from changing.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:42 PM   #9
Dobie Gillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
It's been a long time since I adjusted one, but I think the star washer has to come off. Its what keeps the adjustment from changing.
Yes, the star washer has to come off in order to make an adjustment. The washer has a tang that fits in a slot in the screw, then there is a small projection on the steering box that locks the washer in place. Make any adjustments in very small increments to reduce as much slop as possible without causing binding.
Old 06-09-2023, 06:46 PM   #10
Dobie Gillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford coupe View Post
Not very much slack in the straight ahead but more later on in turnso since i can not turn screw i think best to l;eave it alone..Not much sign of lube so going to add some lucas that reminds me of slick 50..Is it possible that the star washer is stuck to the case and the reason i can not turn the screw?
You really should eliminate any slop that's external to the box before tackling the box itself. Tiny amounts of slop in ball joints, linkages, etc. can stack up to cause a lot of play in the wheel.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:23 PM   #11
miker98038

This isn’t a comment on 3” of play. But I believe the 55 and early 56 cars used the 2 sector box, same as the ‘birds. Mid 56 they changed to a 3 sector. Better when new, and less susceptible to wear. That’s probably part of what you feel. You don’t say if you’ve gone thru the rest of the linkage, but it’s all additive. Parts that alone seem “ok” can add up to “not ok” .
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 07:56 PM   #12
paul2748

Supposedly the Shop Manual has a procedure to adjust for play in the steering box. Trying anything else may bind up the steering , especially in a turn situatin.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote