Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2023, 02:34 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default Marc vs mafca

From what I can tell MARC and MAFCA are about the same but does anything stand out in one or the other?

Last edited by Model A Ron; 05-13-2023 at 02:40 PM.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 03:17 PM   #2
Ivan in southeast va.

Default Re: Marc vs mafca

Mafca seems more west coast while Marc seems more east coast oriented. Also, the technical section seemed a little better with Mafca's Restorer magazine. But yes, they are pretty much the same.
Ivan in southeast va. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 04:27 PM   #3
nkaminar

The MARC, Model A Restorers Club, seems to be orientated to restorations.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 08:31 PM   #4
TerryO

I belong to both and participate in activities in both clubs...Both worth the money,,,

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 08:34 PM   #5
P.S.

Just my perception: MAFCA seems more helpful to newbies. Am I wrong?
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 09:16 AM   #6
Y-Blockhead

That is a hard question as I belong to both.

I do agree MARC seems to be geared more for the East and their events are held there.
MAFCA is headquartered in the West but they hold events in the eastern and western states.

MAFCA also offers first year membership free to new members so if you would like to try MAFCA and 'The Restorer' magazine that is an option.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:33 PM   #7
alexiskai

MARC was founded in 1952 in W. Hartford, CT. In the beginning it was a national club without many local chapters. By 1955, there were enough members in southern California for that group to organize a regional chapter, the "MARC of Southern California." That chapter put out the first edition of its newsletter, "The Restorer," in May 1956. A Northern California chapter organized that same year.

Originally, the Restorer was by and for the members of the SoCal chapter. But almost immediately it was inundated with subscription requests from outside the region, likely because at the time it was one of the only newsletters publishing worthwhile technical content.

In April 1957, the SoCal chapter spun off a newsletter devoted to the activities of the chapter itself and pivoted The Restorer to becoming a national magazine. MAFCA was incorporated right after the MARC National Meet in that year. By Sept., The Restorer was being published under the MAFCA copyright, and by November the new club had introduced its new logo and informed all of the nationwide Restorer subscribers that they were being given free membership in the new club along with their subscription.

I would assume that there were additional reasons why MAFCA decided to split off, but my understanding is that the magazine itself was the driving factor. They had a lot of subscriptions, they had to hire staff, and I think they just wanted more control over finances, content, and policy than MARC was willing to give them.

Anyway, that's why there are two "rival" Model A national clubs.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 08:01 PM   #8
mhsprecher

I belong to both and recommend belonging to both. In my view, it's great to have two clubs. Something for everyone and events all over the country.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 03:33 AM   #9
dave in australia

The judging standards are jointly published by both clubs, so at least there is consistency with that.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:50 AM   #10
31Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
That is a hard question as I belong to both.

I do agree MARC seems to be geared more for the East and their events are held there.
MAFCA is headquartered in the West but they hold events in the eastern and western states.

MAFCA also offers first year membership free to new members so if you would like to try MAFCA and 'The Restorer' magazine that is an option.
What is the last MAFCA national event that was held east of the Mississippi River? I just remember Kansas City in 2000, and that wasn't quite to the Mississippi. I can also say that the other way about MARC. Both clubs will have events in Dallas from time to time.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:14 AM   #11
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Tudor View Post
What is the last MAFCA national event that was held east of the Mississippi River? I just remember Kansas City in 2000, and that wasn't quite to the Mississippi. I can also say that the other way about MARC. Both clubs will have events in Dallas from time to time.
Look at the Calender in the latest issue of The Restorer...
Old 05-15-2023, 08:23 AM   #12
CT Jack

I belong to the original MARC club in CT which is known as CMARC. I use to belong to both MAFCA & MARC. My personal comparison of the two is I find the MARC group reporting and encouraging more regional club activities than MAFCA, provides more information on restoration related subjects, and promotes youth involvement. MARC also seems to cover a wider area of the US, mainly from the Mississippi to the East coast.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:08 AM   #13
31Tudor

Quote:
Look at the Calender in the latest issue of The Restorer...
I think I was meaning national events, not local club swap meets. Most of the swap meets mentioned in the calendar were both MARC and MAFCA club affiliated. The Augusta event is also a MARC club as well, so not really an "exclusive" MAFCA event. Otherwise, I did not really see a true MAFCA event, just like you don't see a true MARC event on the west side of the country.

I lived on the west coast and was way more involved in MAFCA, like you are in California.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:11 AM   #14
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
I think I was meaning national events, not local club swap meets. Most of the swap meets mentioned in the calendar were both MARC and MAFCA club affiliated. The Augusta event is also a MARC club as well, so not really an "exclusive" MAFCA event. Otherwise, I did not really see a true MAFCA event, just like you don't see a true MARC event on the west side of the country.

I lived on the west coast and was way more involved in MAFCA, like you are in California.
Where exactly did I say "National Events" in my post??
Old 05-15-2023, 09:13 AM   #15
mhsprecher

"What is the last MAFCA national event that was held east of the Mississippi River? I just remember Kansas City in 2000, and that wasn't quite to the Mississippi. I can also say that the other way about MARC. Both clubs will have events in Dallas from time to time."

MAFCA had a tour in New England within the last year or two. The tour this year is in Indiana.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:35 AM   #16
31Tudor

Quote:
Where exactly did I say "National Events" in my post??
I'm not sure you did, I just meant an event greater than two guys tinkering on an A under a shade tree and calling it a MAFCA event. Now the tour in Indiana
to me does count, and MAFCA then does an event east of the Mississippi, about every two years, which appears to be 2 more that MARC does the other way. I stand corrected. Still basically one club favors the west coast and one the east coast. West you do more MAFCA events, East you do more MARC events.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:46 AM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Hmmm, if I am understanding you correctly, about a decade more recent is my guess. I seem to remember there was a MARC Meet in 2011 in San Diego. Very poorly attended by some MARC members, ...and a bunch of MAFCA members. So poorly attended that the meet had to be subsidized as I recall. A very, very nice meet for those of us who did attend.

This basic topic has been covered here before. Ironically after the San Diego meet. For a tad more reading on this, click blow;

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...6185&showall=1

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:26 AM   #18
TerryO

Quote:
Well, I can't speak for the past but this year the MAFCA National Tour is east of the Mississippi and I and several others I know plan to attend. The turnout at any event has a big impact on future event locations. This is one reason we should support both clubs and attend any events that we can... Just my humble opinion...

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 01:02 PM   #19
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
I'm not sure you did, I just meant an event greater than two guys tinkering on an A under a shade tree and calling it a MAFCA event.
I'm sure the members that organize the events listed in the MAFCA Calendar appreciate that statement.

And where is this Augusta (Georgia?) event listed that you mention?

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 03:16 PM   #20
31Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
I'm sure the members that organize the events listed in the MAFCA Calendar appreciate that statement.

And where is this Augusta (Georgia?) event listed that you mention?
I think we have beat this enough. Go to MAFCA website, look at the calendar tab, then scroll down. It showed up, June 3rd.

I think the'll be ok!